• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Glenplaid Suits

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came across a suit on sale over the weekend. Perfect fit, loved the color, decent price. I didn't purchase it at that time (might go back) because of a disagreement with the sales person over the price they'd listed it at.

However, I was thinking... I only have a navy suit at the moment. I guess the common wisdom is that having a grey suit and a navy suit is generally all you need for your first couple of suits (which this isn't, but I lost enough weight that I needed new suits, yay me).

So, the grey glen check/plaid suit. Is it versatile enough to take the place of a medium grey solid suit? I don't wear suits too often, if that helps. Might change in the future though.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two very different garments and one is not a substitute for the other. If you only have two suits stick with the basics, cheap or otherwise.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a particular reason why you'd advise that over grabbing the glen check suit? Is it less versatile than the solid?

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A timely post as I just wore my glen plaid suit with a light rust over check today. I also like a blue over check glen plaid. Can glen plaid replace a solid or semi-solid grey suit -- no, it's not as versatile. Does it look great in a business environment -- generally, yes. If you are a London or NYC investment banker or lawyer -- no, unless it's casual Friday. Brits consider glen plaid to be a country, rather than a city suit fabric. I like mine, but make sure it suits the occasion (pun intended). I will always have one or two glen plaid suits in the wardrobe, but after the basics are covered.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 48 16.3%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 101 34.2%
  • 8”

Votes: 89 30.2%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 33 11.2%
  • 9”

Votes: 12 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.4%