• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glenplaid fabric recoms

londonj

Reaction score
Hey,

looking to commission a glen plaid suit next week so I'm looking for recommendations on fabrics similar to the below (scroll down after click) or just photos of nice examples of glen plaid suits I can take into the tailor.

Coat1.jpg:

mlongano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by londonj
Hey, looking to commission a glen plaid suit next week so I'm looking for recommendations on fabrics similar to the below (scroll down after click) or just photos of nice examples of glen plaid suits I can take into the tailor. Coat1.jpg:
Wow, I'm flattered!! This is actually a picture of my suit I posted last year. FYI, the fabric shown in the picture is: from Huddersfield's English Classics Collection, # 9466 - GREY with RED OVERCHECK - Prince of Wales (390 grams / 14 Oz) from the following link: http://www.huddersfieldcloth.com/

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This Fox Flannel #FS625 is particularly great. I plan on getting it made up one of these reds. I love the subtle red on the outside of the boxes.

12-5-09014-1.jpg

12-5-09017.jpg

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
This Fox Flannel #FS625 is particularly great. I plan on getting it made up one of these reds. I love the subtle red on the outside of the boxes.

12-5-09014-1.jpg

12-5-09017.jpg

I'm also thinking about having a flannel glen plaid suit made sometime next Spring and I love this fabric! I especially like the traditional blue overcheck, along with the subtle red. I don't know if my tailor carries Fox Flannel, but thanks for posting.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I'm also thinking about having a flannel glen plaid suit made sometime next Spring and I love this fabric! I especially like the traditional blue overcheck, along with the subtle red. I don't know if my tailor carries Fox Flannel, but thanks for posting.

My pleasure! If need be you can contact Fox Flannel directly and purchase it which is where I grabbed mine.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a DB suit in a Harrisons glen plaid worsted flannel. Highly recommended.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Hey, looking to commission a glen plaid suit next week so I'm looking for recommendations on fabrics similar to the below (scroll down after click) or just photos of nice examples of glen plaid suits I can take into the tailor. Coat1.jpg:
The glen plaid looks horrid with the peak lapels. Peak lapel and shawl lapel coats, jackets and vests require the following fabrics: solids and the most basic, simple [vertical] stripes patterns. For peak lapel and shawl lapel coats, jackets and vests, all other patterned fabrics-including the most subtle monotone birds eyes and herringbones (as well as all stripes that are any less basic and simple than the most basic and simple [vertical] stripes) look way too busy (and, as a result, horrid to the point of really sticking out like a sore thumb). Of course, all of the above is IMO.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^And yet a double-breasted PoW is one of the absolute dandy classics

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
For peak lapel and shawl lapel coats, jackets and vests, all other patterned fabrics-including the most subtle monotone birds eyes and herringbones look way too busy.

I completely disagree.

londonj

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, the Fox flannel is exactly what I'm looking for. Agree with oxford, I'm ordering notch lapel 3 piece. Thanks.

I tried searching for Harrisons glen plaid worsted flannel, I could only find a Harrisons ebay store?

hst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot

12-5-09014-1.jpg

12-5-09017.jpg

Could I ask what is the weight of this?

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
It is a 10/11oz

Seeing Mina about having this very cloth made up on Sunday

Any thoughts on how to have it made up? Have decided for a SB, relatively informal / Friday suit - but am undecided on the details

Am thinking 3-roll-2 (most of my suits are 1B - but don't think it would work), with 2 patch and a welt breast pocket. Very lightly structured, with no padding. Quarter-lined in royal blue. For the trousers, will probably go flat front, with cuffs. Am thinking of having belt loops, rather than side adjusters. Very much like my Ambrosis

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by R.O. Thornhill
It is a 10/11oz Seeing Mina about having this very cloth made up on Sunday Any thoughts on how to have it made up? Have decided for a SB, relatively informal / Friday suit - but am undecided on the details Am thinking 3-roll-2 (most of my suits are 1B - but don't think it would work), with 2 patch and a welt breast pocket. Very lightly structured, with no padding. Quarter-lined in royal blue. For the trousers, will probably go flat front, with cuffs. Am thinking of having belt loops, rather than side adjusters. Very much like my Ambrosis
I'd be inclined to do flap pockets on the suit. For some reason patch pockets seem off to me on a fabric as traditional as this. Also, consider the Burgundy Ermazine lining from Harrison's. It really makes the subtle red pop a bit more. At least it did when I held them side-by-side. Have fun!

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I have a DB suit in a Harrisons glen plaid worsted flannel. Highly recommended.

I tried searching for Harrisons glen plaid worsted flannel, I could only find a Harrisons ebay store?

I think you can find it here. Foo: which # do you have?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads