Glen Plaid Sports Coat...the pants mystery.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cloose, Feb 12, 2013.

1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

black cotton chinos should not exist IMHO

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Also, this.

3. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

Getting grey odd jackets right is for advanced players. If you like black chinos, you're not ready for them.

4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

+1!

OP: The trick to wearing odd jackets is to have a decent amount of contrast between jacket and trouser (in most cases, drop obligatory parenthetical on advanced dressing techniques). If this is a light grey jacket, consider darker colors. Brown flannel could be an option. I dislike navy odd trousers but could see them come into play here. Most chinos will look wrong with this jacket. On the other far extreme, going even lighter than the jacket, perhaps cream flannel or gabardine? If the coat is light enough, you might get away with charcoal odd trousers if you have them but this should not be your first, second or third choice.

Any chance of being able to return this thing? Not a huge deal to add this to your wardrobe if you have enough sport coats and it does not look like an orphaned suit jacket, but if you don't have a lot of items already, this is really not versatile at all. A few exceptions aside and unless you really can see how it would work in your wardrobe, it is generally not wise to purchase an odd jacket that would not pair well with medium grey trousers.

5. cloose

cloose Member

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013

6. cloose

cloose Member

[​IMG]

7. cloose

cloose Member

Did forget about the Wool trousers the wife snagged for me.....darker grey, paired them with jacket for your comments. Thank you for your feedback...this site is great.
    .[​IMG]

8. cloose

cloose Member

[​IMG]
    I also have some wool trousers that are darker grey that escaped my memory. Would these work?

9. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

Too true. I struggle with the single grey odd jacket that I own outside of the most casual outfits.

10. cloose

cloose Member

Thanks. While I completely agree with the difficulty of complementing this jacket...drawing a conclusion on my level of "readiness" for off jackets based on a pair of pants I own is presumptuous at best and idiotic at worst. I own plenty of wool trousers and solid blazers not to mention a fine array of suits..just wanted some feedback on what has been acknowledged as a tough match. Thank you to all who provided constructive comments.

11. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Difficult to make work given lighter shade of grey. You have more than the pants to think of, the shirt as well has to be factored it. Black Pants = Out. Navy Pants = Not going to work very well, best hope is mediocre if even that Blue = Possible mediocrity Light Blue = No Charcoal / Dark Grey Pants = Not recommended Khaki / family of beige's = Not going to work even slightly Brown = Not going to work Off White / Cream = Maybe White = Maybe your best bet Jeans = Odd pairing an odd suit jacket to denim, but this may be an option even if flawed. White may end up best. Not going to be perfect but would be the only way off my top of the head where it would look even partially respectable. Personally I would chuck the suit jacket or try find the matching pants. If wanting to wear that type of plaid / windowpane pattern, you would have more luck sticking to the blue family which brings the typical summer chinos pants into play.

12. cloose

cloose Member

Thank you for your constructive input. There are no pants this was bought at Saks and is a stand alone blazer. Still have receipt and may be taking back. Still amazed at the arrogance of some who presume that a pair of pants I own dictate whether I am "ready" for odd jackets.....please.

13. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

If you stick around, you will never be amazed at the arrogance of posters on SF.

14. cloose

cloose Member

Incredible.

15. cloose

cloose Member

Thanks for the heads up. How quickly it is forgotten that not only do clothes make the man...so does humility.