• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glen Plaid - Seasonal Appropriateness

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two Questions.

Part the First:

Do those of you who wear glen plaid (or Prince of Wales) seperates (either jackets or slacks) wear certain colors for certain seasons?

I was at Dillard's today and they had some decent slacks made from Loro Piana fabric in a nice medium-to-light brown glen plaid. If I were to get them it would be to match them up with a heavy cashmere/mink (dark brown) sport coat that I have. The sport coat is definitely fall/winter.

I guess I've always thought of glen plaid (especially in lighter colors) as very spring/summer thing.

Part the Second:

Dillard's had another pair in the standard Black/White Houndstooth. I like the look of the pant, but what jacket types/colors do you wear with it?

-Thanks

Orange

Reaction score
I'm interested in knowing this as well. And since I accidentally picked up a glen plaid suit, how versatile are they? Is a light grey glen plaid suit as versatile as a normal light grey suit?

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only Glen Plaid I have is a suit, and yes, I only wear it Spring/Summer.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Depends on the fabric weight - if it is a more full, flannel like goes in more chilly weather, if it is a light one spring-summer. Essentially the PoW is a sporting - travel fabric - '30 casual dress - that had been brought into the lime light by the then Prince of Wales, later Edward the VIII, later Duke of Windsor. Definitively not a conservative business dress, but can be very versatile as a morning- afternoon suit if you are not in law and banking. Final line - if you like it wear it. You can find PoW in various lengths and colours so go for it.

adamsnez

Reaction score
orange, if you're comfortable and confident wearing it - it's versatile.

glenplaid for the win. i'd rock that suit Winter-thru fall

Orange

Reaction score
The pattern is the same as the one on this website.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RALPH-LAUREN-Sui...QQcmdZViewItem

cgi.****.com/RALPH-LAUREN-Suit-38R-38-Gray-Glen-Plaid-NR_W0QQitemZ320275174723QQihZ011QQcategoryZ3001QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If the top link didn't work try the bottom and replace the ****s with the bay

Now is it possible to pull that off all year long in a professional work environment? I'm going to assume no just because standing out seems like such a bad thing unless you're top brass and still maybe even then...

Just for fun though I wouldn't mind rocking it as a sports coat whenever. But it doesn't make sense to me keeping the entire suit just for the jacket.

adamsnez

Reaction score
i have pants that look exactly like that. i wear them in my "office environment" and have never second guessed them

cs1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
Two Questions.

Part the First:

Do those of you who wear glen plaid (or Prince of Wales) seperates (either jackets or slacks) wear certain colors for certain seasons?

I was at Dillard's today and they had some decent slacks made from Loro Piana fabric in a nice medium-to-light brown glen plaid. If I were to get them it would be to match them up with a heavy cashmere/mink (dark brown) sport coat that I have. The sport coat is definitely fall/winter.

I guess I've always thought of glen plaid (especially in lighter colors) as very spring/summer thing.

Part the Second:

Dillard's had another pair in the standard Black/White Houndstooth. I like the look of the pant, but what jacket types/colors do you wear with it?

-Thanks

Which Dillard's did you see glen plaid at. I'm in N. Royalton and never see anything good at my Dillard's.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orange

Now is it possible to pull that off all year long in a professional work environment? I'm going to assume no just because standing out seems like such a bad thing unless you're top brass and still maybe even then...

Just for fun though I wouldn't mind rocking it as a sports coat whenever. But it doesn't make sense to me keeping the entire suit just for the jacket.

I don't have a problem wearing glen plaid all year long.
I have a DB suit by Canali in a Prince of Wales (PoW) check almost identical to the one above and I wear it every couple of weeks in summer. In winter, I replace it with a DB suit by Polo RL in a thicker, flannely fabric - it is a darker charcoal glen plaid with a faint blue overcheck.

I think that glen plaid is great in spring, summer, fall and winter - wear it all year long! It's a great pattern that looks good with a wide variety of shirts and ties.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cs1
Which Dillard's did you see glen plaid at. I'm in N. Royalton and never see anything good at my Dillard's.
I was at Beachwood. They're having one of their world famous "bi-weekly" semi-annual sales on tailored clothing. So the slacks in question are retailing for $75. Normally I guess they are $125-$150, although I have a hard time believing that anybody actually pays that much for them.

markjd

Reaction score
double post
frown.gif

markjd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orange

cgi.****.com/RALPH-LAUREN-Suit-38R-38-Gray-Glen-Plaid-NR_W0QQitemZ320275174723QQihZ011QQcategoryZ3001QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If the top link didn't work try the bottom and replace the ****s with the bay

I picked up a suit on ebay this week very much like yours. I am waiting for it to be delivered and I will have to have it altered to fit my long arms and legs
smile.gif

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Glen Pliad is prob my favorite suit style. I have one spring/summer Black Label suit (basically black white and grey), I have one very heavy wool/cashmere Turnbull and Asser Vintage that I adore (with a green under check), and I am curerently having another heavy wool three piece made by my tailor (double breasted vest, 2 Bt Jacket) in a brownish color. So it really depends on the material, the lighter and simpler the colors the lighter the weight (I usually find).

As far as the houndsooth pants, the black and white would really be seen as grey, so anything that you'd wear with grey slacks should be fine. Navy blazer would work, so would a black sport jacket.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Glen Plaid is year-round, but it does come in different "hues". The lighter they look, the more summery they feel, I think.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Glen Plaid is year-round, but it does come in different "hues". The lighter they look, the more summery they feel, I think.

Exactly. It's all about the color and the cloth. I have light cotton glen plaid trou I wear in the summer, and heavier glen plaid sportcoats I wear in the fall and winter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics