• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glen plaid/prince of Wales patterns

alchimiste

Reaction score
Do Glen plaid/prince of Wales come in colors other than grey? I think I've seen some green, but I am not quite sure. Would the name change if it's not grey?

Mathieu

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Glen-plaid is the genus; Prince of Wales is the species. "Glen-plaid" is short for glenurqhardt, a specific Scottish estate tweed pattern that can be woven in an almost any scale and in any color(s). Prince of Wales plaid is a specific glenurqhardt that is large-scale and has a rust-red, cream, gray and black color scheme.

Fashionslave

Reaction score
Wow.-Thanks,Manton. I had it the other way around. I was calling the finescale Glen Plaid Prince of Wales and vice versa.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do Glen plaid/prince of Wales come in colors other than grey? I think I've seen some green, but I am not quite sure. Would the name change if it's not grey?

Mathieu
FWIW glen plaid patterns are quite common in tan for summer odd trousers and suits. It looks very sharp.

Fashionslave

Reaction score
Which brings up yet another question:Can a Glen Plaid jacket be worn as a sport coat with,say,solid trousers ?

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glen-plaid is the genus; Prince of Wales is the species.  "Glen-plaid" is short for glenurqhardt, a specific Scottish estate tweed pattern that can be woven in an almost any scale and in any color(s).  Prince of Wales plaid is a specific glenurqhardt that is large-scale and has a rust-red, cream, gray and black color scheme.
Manton,

In an earlier thread regarding Strollers, I believe you suggested that a glen plaid could possibly be paired with a grey jacket to create a modern version. I've been struck by that since and it remains in my innersight as a possible combination. Yet, the glen plaid in a grey and black trouser (no red or blue) strikes me as a bit much busy for the situation. Much more pattern that the chalk stripe.

I'd be very interested in reading your thoughts on that combination as the "Early Wedding" kit.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Traditionally, any of several trouser patterns was acceptable with a stroller: either a fancy morning stripe, a more sedate chalk stripe, or (in black and white only) glen-plaid, sheppard's check, or houndstooth.

It does not look too busy. The coat is solid. The shirt may have a pattern, but at most a sedate stripe. The tie is generally silver or black and white, which harmonizes with the trousers.

untilted

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fashionslave
Which brings up yet another question:Can a Glen Plaid jacket be worn as a sport coat with,say,solid trousers ?

I have the same question.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had a light grey shark-skin colored suit already which type of glen plaid would you opt for in the rotation, a brown one or gray with light purple/lavender colored windows?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can someone post a picture of a PoW pattern then? i didn't know that the difference between glen plaid and PoW was only the color combination...and google doesn't seem to help...

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is a glen plaid in silk (an unusual one, at that):

Collector23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
This is a glen plaid in silk (an unusual one, at that):

Hi Kent,

Any chance that you will be getting this pattern in other colours?

Thanks

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Collector23
Any chance that you will be getting this pattern in other colours?
No, it was a rare find.
Originally Posted by Manton
Glen-plaid is the genus; Prince of Wales is the species. "Glen-plaid" is short for glenurqhardt, a specific Scottish estate tweed pattern that can be woven in an almost any scale and in any color(s). Prince of Wales plaid is a specific glenurqhardt that is large-scale and has a rust-red, cream, gray and black color scheme.
Based on your description, this one from Thick as Thieves appears to be a true POW. Correct me if I'm wrong.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think that is too small-scale. POW is a fair bit bigger than that - the dogtooth sections are obvious from a few feet away rather than blending into a varied gray. Basically the black and white pieces that make up the pattern are bigger, as if the pattern had been put under a magnifying glass.

Here's a good example from Sir Paul, though the colors may not be authentic:

2664we1.jpg

And yes, a POW check jacket is a good choice for an odd jacket, but it's better done with a larger scale and a softer fabric as opposed to the fine scale hard worsted you often see in suits.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a POW

PZ3.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads