• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glen plaid jacket

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I found a very nice Dunhill glen plaid jacket, 2-1/2 button, very soft super 100s worsted, full canvas, with pick stitched lapel edges, and it fits me almost perfectly. I want to wear it with jeans, etc., and I thought of those cashmere hooded sweatshirts recently discussed as a good way to use it. I failed in my mission to find one yesterday, but I will keep on it. My question is, can a 25-year-old guy get away with wearing this with jeans and not look like a dork? If so, how?

Also, it has (fake) buttonhole stitching under the sleeve buttons. I've seen this from time to time... what's up with that?

Brian SD

Reaction score
My question is, can a 25-year-old guy get away with wearing this with jeans and not look like a dork? If so, how?

With a hoodie, like you said. Maybe with a red graphic tee. I see lots of kids around hear wearing plaid sport coats and I think it looks great.

Sevcom

Reaction score
Go for it. As a matter of fact, I've been looking for a good plaid sportscoat myself; the only one I've found relatively cheaply is a Zara one, and that one's not right to me.

My only concern in your case is that the material would look too 'delicate' to be paired with jeans, but I guess the pattern draws attention away from that.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Luckily it's not that hard finished glen plaid like the suit I have, but a soft type that almost feels like flannel. Otherwise you're right, I definitely wouldn't try it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will work. Again, the idea is to have a casual piece under it, so as to not look like you just switched out the matching pants for jeans. And the flannelized material will definitely work. I would even go with an actual cotton sweatshirt - not a Champion, mind you, but maybe something simple from Helmut Lang.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm.. any ideas on where to get such a thing? You have to remember that even though Seattle is a big city it's still in the stone age as this stuff goes. Unfortunately due to my price range and area I'm stuck with mall places like the Gap and BR (believe me, I wish it were different). The Gap has a cotton one that is perfect except for the color (and the slave labor) and otherwise I don't see what I'm looking for.

Sevcom

Reaction score
Like people in other threads suggested, try American Apparel. I picked up one of their zip hoodies last week, and it's phenomenal stuff.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well I lucked out and found a black one on sale at the Gap for $35. I like it but the jacket doesn't really seem to work this way. I think the shoulders are too constructed or something, and too wide. They extend a bit past my actual shoulder but the fabric hangs straight down. They fit perfectly but don't really look right for this application.

Okay, so can a guy my age get away with wearing this jacket in a more dressy way? I look good in the glen plaid suit, but as a jacket I keep thinking it will look a bit.. mature. Opinions?

9_Ball_Slim

Reaction score
How about a silk/cotton blend mock in a suitable color? They look great with the right jeans, and I think your jacket would dress up the look very smartly, without making you look like you're trying too hard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads