• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glasses?

Mayday981

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need to buy some glasses and I was wondering what kind of frames look good these days? I wanna get some ideas if you guys have any suggestions it would be great. My stepsister is actually going to go to Taiwan to get them for me because it's cheaper. I'm in my twenties if that helps.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Seen lots of people rock the square nerd/prep style (thick black/tortoise shell style frames). Infact I need a pair and will probably go for that style. The style seems to go good for both sex's. I haven't seen a girl yet who wears the style who I didn't think looked good wear it. All the guys I've seen wearing the style pull it off.

The frame-less square lens style is popular also.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerDurden
Seen lots of people rock the square nerd/prep style (thick black/tortoise shell style frames). Infact I need a pair and will probably go for that style. The style seems to go good for both sex's. I haven't seen a girl yet who wears the style who I didn't think looked good wear it. All the guys I've seen wearing the style pull it off.

The frame-less square lens style is popular also.

Those black frames are never oversized enough to distinguish them from the derivative Emo crowd who favors them.

Aureus

Reaction score
frame-less square, a la Agent Smith is still my favorite design, has been for a very long time.

Hanseat

Reaction score
If you decide for rimless frames go with Silhouettes. Some threads should come up when you do a search.

Reaction score
I rotate two pairs of Mikli A0308 frames, one white/brown checkerboard for the weekend; black and brown for work.
72823234.jpg
0807636129_S.jpg

beefcake

Reaction score
brill1xr3.jpg
brill2if4.jpg
sorry for the ****** quality - cam phone. and yes they are selvage.
cheers.gif
and i agree with TylerDurden in everything he said.

Reaction score
Had a pair of Diesel frames before the Mikli's-----not bad for the price point (I paid about $80 from italiansunglasses.com); they do not even compare to the Miklis in terms of quality, though.
nod[1].gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those are Mikli and not Alain Mikli mainline? I am also getting a pair of Mikli from Giarre.com -- you should check out their prices on Mikli. Would you happen to know if there any quality differences between Mikli and the mainline?

Reaction score
Ooops. Alain Mikli. Sorry.
blush.gif
musicboohoo[1].gif
No experience with the non-Alain Mikli Miklis. EDIT: those are great prices, I seem to remember paying close to $600 each just for the frames.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Miklis are what I would have if I wore glasses. Ordered from giarre three years ago, good service and nice prices. Of course they don't carry the sunglasses I have now so I had to get them in LA.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I wear a pair of Alain Mikli from the "pact" collection, they're very distinctive, Miklis (non alain) seemed pretty well made too from what I saw but sincerely even relatively cheaper glasses usually hold up well so I'd rather pay for design than construction in that case (i.e. if you like an inexpensive pair, good for you, you'll save $$$ and it should hold up well).

Note that I rarely wear glasses....

Reaction score
I am Velma without glasses and I'm pretty rough on them. I always expect to have them constantly readjusted and fall off my face when I look down between adjustments. The Alains have never needed adjustment, have never fallen off my face and are not tight around the temple. Magic.
nod[1].gif

Goblin

Reaction score
Glasses are a very front-and-center wardrobe item, one of the first things people notice about you if you wear them. I'd only get black clunky frames if you're comfortable with what they signify to a lot of people ("emo kid" or "hipster doofus" or, perhaps, "engineer"). I'm already thin, skate, and have messy hair, sideburns, and tattoos, and the last thing I want is to put forth a ******* emo or emocore vibe, so I just avoid the clunkies, prophylactic glasses, whatever, and wear nondescript wire frames. I'm too old for scene points anyway.

Hell, though, if you like that vibe, go for it. But wearing clunkies definitely carries a certain baggage. My theory about clunky glasses mirrors my theory about bow ties - you should probably only wear them if you don't look like you should really be wearing them.

E.g.:

320-lb Fruit of Islam bodyguard: can wear a bowtie.
120-lb preppie douchebag: should reconsider.

Ridiculously cute girl with Zelda haircut: can wear clunkies.
120-lb emo douchebag: should reconsider.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goblin
Glasses are a very front-and-center wardrobe item, one of the first things people notice about you if you wear them. I'd only get black clunky frames if you're comfortable with what they signify to a lot of people ("emo kid" or "hipster doofus" or, perhaps, "engineer"). I'm already thin, skate, and have messy hair, sideburns, and tattoos, and the last thing I want is to put forth a ******* emo or emocore vibe, so I just avoid the clunkies, prophylactic glasses, whatever, and wear nondescript wire frames. I'm too old for scene points anyway.

Hell, though, if you like that vibe, go for it. But wearing clunkies definitely carries a certain baggage. My theory about clunky glasses mirrors my theory about bow ties - you should probably only wear them if you don't look like you should really be wearing them.

E.g.:

320-lb Fruit of Islam bodyguard: can wear a bowtie.
120-lb preppie douchebag: should reconsider.

Ridiculously cute girl with Zelda haircut: can wear clunkies.
120-lb emo douchebag: should reconsider.

I must saw I wear my eyeglasses in a more prada-army black suit/white shirt, black plaintoe sleek look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads