1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

glasses maintenance...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rich, Jun 9, 2006.

1. rich

rich Member

Hey folks...I picked up a pair of silhouette frames thanks to your advice...so far so good, they're light and less moving parts to get bent!

Any advice re the following?

I was told that the pre-moistened cleaning cloths like that sold by Pearl Vision would destroy the coating on the lenses over time, any truth to this?

Should I keep my glasses in a case at night or just lay them on a nightstand?

Also advised that cleaning with palmolive and a dry cloth would be best daily?

Thanks for any advice...

2. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Nice choice!

I generally rinse mine in the sink and dry them on a microfiber towel. If that has led to any degredation of any coating, which perhaps it has, I haven't noticed it.

I usually keep them in their case, even though it's a cheap piece of plastic crap. At least it's tiny to pack, though my Helmut Lang sunglasses case is even better in that regard...

3. Hanseat

Hanseat Senior member

I just clean mine about once a week with normal dishwashing detergent and dry them with either a microfiber towel (remember to wash those as well) or a smooth piece of cotton (think soft cotton t-shirt).

Other than that, I just leave them sitting on my nightstand so I can easily put them back on in the morning.

4. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

cleaning coated lens with anything stronger than water can ruin the coat, so says (repeatedly) by my optometrist. i do keep a couple of these around: one in the car and one at home. i like them because they are washable. [​IMG]

5. javyn

javyn Senior member

Hey Rich, do you mind posting picts of your glasses? I have been lackadaisically shopping for the perfect pair of frames for a long time now. I'd like to see the shape of them