• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glasses for professional work enviroment

Lendial

Reaction score
Hello, im 23 and and recently entered the workforce as a techonlogy consultant. I was wondering what sort of glasses type would be acceptable in a professional work enviroment. I havent had an eye exam in years and the current pair I use now are grossly undersized for my face type. I was thinking of getting something like this black rimmed glasses:
http://www.framesdirect.com/framesfp/Gucci-tdkgqc/r.html

but aparently their also popular with the hipsters and i dont want to send the wrong message by having management think im some sort of anti corporate scenster.

1) are black rimmed glasses acceptable in this enviroment
2) if not, what are some acceptable types of frames?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
having the gucci logo and stripes will be too flashy and chav.

without your face shape its hard to determine.

Check out some of the Oliver Peoples, Paul Smith, etc...I have some of those and they have a few nice ones. Just depends on your face shape.

Perhaps check out Warby Parker...they have similar designs to OP, etc...and are only $95 with the lens in them. I can't vouch for the quality. They have a showroom I believe at the Lizard Lounge in Portland.

http://www.warbyparker.com/mens-eyewear-felton-eyeglass-frame-black?sc=9&category=-109

are similar.

you can get this color too, which I have something similar....looks pretty good.
http://www.warbyparker.com/mens-eyewear-felton-eyeglass-frame-old-fashioned-fade?sc=9

Jeff10236

Reaction score
You are young so it wouldn't really be expected that you wear the same glasses style as someone my age (41), but you are right, in the professional work world you may want to keep it, well, professional. The main thing is to go stylish but not too trendy or faddish. I think any of the plastic frames shown here would be fine. Most non-faddish metal frames are fine as well. You are in tech (and a little more current may be a good thing), so you don't have to go as conservative as you might in finance, but as a consultant you will be spending time in many different types of companies and industries. Some are more youth-oriented and fashionable, others are more conservative and traditional. Just as you might have to have multiple work "uniforms" for the different companies you may work with (some may require business casual or even outright casual for you to fit in and others may require a suit or at least a sport coat), you might want to have two or three pairs of glasses for the different work environments where you may find yourself when working with different clients.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads