• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giving clothing advice on non-clothing forums

overdog

Reaction score
I love it when people give each other clothing advice on non-clothing forums. So entertaining.

Quoted:

"I can tell you if you want decent suits for under $200 you can go to K&G. You can get a decent suit for between $120 and $150 there...it's not Armani or anything, but you won't embarass yourself."

"Try a place like this... http://www.kgmens.com/ ...they have some great sales there. I just picked up 2 suits w/alterations, a belt, and a pair of shoes for less than $300. As a rule of thumb... NEVER buy a suit from a department store."

"K&G just got in the Steve Harvey collection, I'm sure you'll look handsome in such garment."

"k&g is more cheaper but you lose in the quality department. men's wearhouse is a nice balance."

"Hart Shaffner Marx suits are generally considered some of the best bang for your buck off the rack suits available. They are pretty much made with the same material and construction of suits that cost many hundreds if not thousands more."

"I got some really good advise from my dad (felt like a kid again) about suits. He was a partner at Arthur Andersen consulting division before the crash so he knows all about expensive suits and good quality. He mentioned Jos A Bank also."

"Went to Jos A Bank this weekend and picked out some Traveler's Suits. They are by far the best cut suits I have ever owned plus they say that each thread of wool is treated to resist water. I was like "ya uh huh". Guy said "let me show you what I am talking about". He then took the jacket off of me and poured a cup of water on the jacket. It beaded up like it was on a waxed car. He just moved it around the jacket with his finger like it was mercury (straight out of T2). It was trippy."

laugh.gif

datasupa

Reaction score
Reminds me of the non-clothing advice given on this forum.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ On the contrary, I've been surprised by members' breadth of knowledge. If I wanted to know about kitchen knives, cooking, beer, bicycles, audio equipment, exercising, etc. I could easily start my search on SF and have some good advice to start with, and some good directions to follow up on.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by overdog

"Hart Shaffner Marx suits are generally considered some of the best bang for your buck off the rack suits available. They are pretty much made with the same material and construction of suits that cost many hundreds if not thousands more."

While I agree with most all your post/point I actually think there is some truth to the above. I've picked up some half canvassed HSM suits for sub $200 that use wonderful fabric and also some HSM Loro Piana Cashmere sportcoats for sub $150.

Not worth nearly the MSRPs of $700-800 but Dillard's semi-annual cleareace = HSM huge value buy
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sadly that's how life goes. I've seen this myself on various other forums I frequent. I learn to tune it out because it won't change anyone's mind to suggest otherwise.

I also experience this quite often in my daily life. Just yesterday I was in the cafeteria when one of the docs walked by. To make a long story short, one of the girls I was eating with commented that "he's not even good looking but he dresses nicely."

1. Black suit in the day.

2. All buttons done up.

3. Way too much break in his pants.

4. No sleeve showing.

5. No pocket square (which I think is somewhat okay in a hospital environment).

6. Square-toed slip ons.

The only reason he looked even passable to me is because he's tall and thin with a good frame i.e. broad shoulders.

I also often see girls compliment my classmates on their ties when they have a knot big enough to fit my head in (tied very loosely) and sometimes with the top button of the shirt undone (while the tie is "tightened" all the way up to their neck).

overdog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
I also often see girls compliment my classmates on their ties when they have a knot big enough to fit my head in (tied very loosely) and sometimes with the top button of the shirt undone (while the tie is "tightened" all the way up to their neck).

Sometimes girls will tell you that you look nice if you actually do look nice. But just as often they will tell you they like an item of clothing you are wearing merely because it stood out and they are trying to find something nice to say.

I have had a girl compliment my fake crocodile bicycle toe Stacy Adams before (pre-SF).

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
""K&G just got in the Steve Harvey collection, I'm sure you'll look handsome in such garment.""

This has to be sarcasm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads