• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giving an oral presentation in a few weeks!

taktikz

Reaction score
The last time I gave a REAL presentation was around my freshman year of HighSchool... Had one also last year which was very short, so that doesn't count..... I was extremelyy nervous... seriously..

In a few weeks, I have to do an oral presentation that is at least 7 minutes. I haven't even taken public speaking yet, and this is for an english class... Isn't this like OD? LOL

I'm determined to do it, I just want some pointers...anything that can make me relaxed and focused while speaking?

I hear having a drink before a speech helps people out... Any one agree?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taktikz
The last time I gave a REAL presentation was around my freshman year of HighSchool... Had one also last year but it was very short, so that doesn't count.....

In a few weeks, I have to do an oral presentation that is at least 7 minutes. I haven't even taken public speaking yet, and this is for an english class... Isn't this like OD? LOL

I'm determined to do it, I just want some pointers...anything that can make me relaxed and focused while speaking?

I hear having a drink before a speech helps people out... Any one agree?

What helps me is knowing my subject like the back of my hand. You have lots of time to prepare so you will be just fine. The scary part about speaking in public is when its spontaneous - then people tend to blank out. But if you have a gameplan, and you memorize talking points that will lead you through your presentation, you can't really fail. I think the key is structure - if you stick to the structure you plan out, you are confident navigating the presentation. If you "wing it", then things can get awkward if you are uncomfortable speaking in public. Just my $.02.

As far as alcohol, I've had shots before a speech, but I don't think it's a great idea - it will only make your mind slower.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Public speaking isn't a big deal. Just practice in front of a mirror at first and then do the presentation in front of a few friends before the real deal.

Bonus points for memorizing the presentation. I hate listening to people who just read off a sheet in front of them.

taktikz

Reaction score
Amazing thing that it's on a short literary drama. It's like a few sentences... And the professor wants at least 7 minutes... i think that's just BS lol

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
First: Don't memorize your speach, if you do that you will sound like you're reading your speech. Memorize your facts instead, and the order you want to cover your subjects, and use notecards with bullets on them of things you need to cover. Then, PRACTICE PRACTICE in front of a mirror and time yourself. Trust me, you need to practice a lot to figure out how long it will take. Do those two things and you're money.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most important thing is to believe your own bullshit, if you don't then no one else will.

taktikz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jyang
join toastmasters.

Have planned to a while ago, but never got to it...

Thanks for all the advice!

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's also helpful to watch other peoples presentations. I like the ones on www.ted.com. If you're using any visual aids or slides like Powerpoint or Keynote, check out www.presentationzen.com for tips on how to design your slides.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jyang
join toastmasters.

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1!!!!!

If you're in a pinch, do what I did to get through b-school.

1. Know your topic cold.
2. Write your best opening and talk it out like Mr. Pink in Reservoir Dogs (i.e. - work on it constantly)
3. Write your best closing and talk it out like Mr. Pink in Reservoir Dogs.
4. Sketch out the middle so it makes good logical sense.
5. Own the floor when you come up.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest, and I apologize if you are already planning to do this, that you use a banana or some other apparatus as your 'prop', as a live model may cause discomfort among conservatives or older faculty members in the room, if indeed they are present.

taktikz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
I would suggest, and I apologize if you are already planning to do this, that you use a banana or some other apparatus as your 'prop', as a live model may cause discomfort among conservatives or older faculty members in the room, if indeed they are present.
Why did I have a feeling some dumbass was going to say this?

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind, if this is for class, the only person who really cares is you professor. At least half the class will be thinking about their own presentation, a good quarter will be sleeping/daydreaming, and maybe a few people will actually listen. There's really no pressure from the students, just keep your mind on entertaining the prof.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a) get used to this. there is a possibility you'll end up in a career that essentially requires tons of oral presentations.

b) i hate powerpoint. if you overload the audience on powerpoint, they are going to murder you. please, 2 minutes per slide roughly (not counting any crap slides like a cover page, or whatnot).

c) rehearse. This sucks, but it is necessary. I'm really more of a think on my feet type of guy, so I hate doing the rehearsed presentation part. But when it is time for Q&A and I can be spontaneous, I get happy.

4) similar to part b, make sure slides are visual in nature. if they are a ton of text, people are going to throw tomatoes at you. charts, graphs, photos, drawings = good

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you have a chance, do a summer internship at a corporation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads