• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Givenchy Overcoat Quality? or Suitsupply Overcoat?

RustyAl

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am new here, so forgive me if I have put this in the wrong thread.

I am very new to overcoats, as I have never needed one in the past. I am looking to purchase one. I liked the look of the Givenchy wool&cashmere blend in camel. However there is not much info about Givenchy overcoats quality, and for that price I would want to know whether I am making the correct decision. I liked the Suitsupply Camel overcoat, but it appears much shorter than the Givenchy. So would like your guys advice, and whether I should consider these overcoats or look into something better.

Givenchy Camel Overcoat.jpg

Thanks a lot guys

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much are you looking to spend?

I have no clue as to Givenchy. I know he was one of the hot Paris designers during the swinging 60’s, but it seems like most of what one sees qualifies more as street wear.

Givenchy is a brand. It’s doubtful they actually make it. It’s probably designed in-house, but the actual manufacturing is farmed out.

It doesn't surprise me that suit supply’s coat is cut short as often today a car coat is what passes as an overcoat.

RustyAl

Reaction score
Thanks PF for your response

I would say $1000 max as anything beyond that would really be too much.

Which brands would you recommend? I would prefer brands based in europe to avoid tax duties

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks PF for your response

I would say $1000 max as anything beyond that would really be too much.

Which brands would you recommend? I would prefer brands based in europe to avoid tax duties

I really wouldn’t know. I’m not really an overcoat person and I’m not really sure what’s offered in the EU domestic market.

You can check out Herno or MacKintosh to start. There’s also Barbour but you have to like waxed cotton. Sanyo is another good option and you should be able to find a number of options in your size.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They don't have camel to my knowledge, but I have an overcoat from Bookster in UK. Fantastic coat and since it's MTO it's customizable. Around $1100 I think. But, you're getting a high quality garment made in UK - not made in China. I would recommend a coating fabric for winter as opposed to a tweed. Paired with a quality cashmere scarf and leather gloves (I have several pairs of Dents) and you're in good shape.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads