1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Give your best advice to an expecting father

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by gdl203, Nov 10, 2008.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Really? Try to relax, man. It's one flight. Sure, it can be unpleasant, but then it's over. Try to isolate that incident in your mind, separating it from the rest of the trip. Maybe that'll put it into perspective for you.

Thanks - doesn't help much but thanks. Yes, really - extremely stressful

2. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

Stress doesn't cause ulcers, so at least you can feel a bit better knowing that [​IMG]

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

The stress associated with the anticipation of a long flight with infants is something that's hard to describe. I have been thinking about this flight for months, every single day, multiple times a day. I am having nightmares about it (for real), I am incredibly stressed and so is my wife. I think we're developing ulcers just thinking about traveling with our kids. [​IMG]

I sympathize with your plight and hope it goes better than you anticipated.

When we went sailing the first few times, our son kept saying "we're gonna die! we're gonna die!" with more than a little joyous exceitement in his voice. Fast-forward to our first family plane trip: a short hop to Cancun. I really dreaded takeoff and landing (son, please! we're not going to die, yet. wait until landing.), but fortunately he dreaded takeoff and landing as well and kept quiet until we were off the plane. So, maybe it will go better than you expect.

4. SpallaCamiccia

SpallaCamiccia Senior member

Stress doesn't cause ulcers, so at least you can feel a bit better knowing that [​IMG]
    So GDL has a real family eh, I can´t believe it[​IMG] . Stress cause hidrocortisone , it reduces the serotonine so it induces depression , violence and all kind of bad behaviours . Even it reduces fisically a part of the actual brain , the hypocamp ( hipocampo in spanish, don´t know the english name sorry ) People in huge stress from his childhood and continuous hidrocortisone flow might develope DSM personality disorders and even suicide , cancer , ulcer and so on . BEWARE !!!

5. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Do you know what causes the stress, gdl? Remember: you'll be together, just like at home. If something happens at home, you and your wife are probably very resourceful (like most parents) to find a solution for whatever problem. You'll bring that 'resourcefulness' to wherever you go, also on a plane: you're there and you just cope with whatever happens. I'm sure you'll be fine.

I have no experience with a long flight like that, but I remember the stress I had with cycling with my daughter for the first time (she in front of me on my bike in a 'bike-chair'; I don't know what they're called): what if we fall, what if a car hits us? Things like that. The only way to overcome that was just to get on the bike and go. The first few times were a bit stressful, but now I (we) really enjoy it. Completely different from a long flight, of course, but maybe part of the cause of the stress was the same: concern for the child(ren), fear that something happens to them.

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Greg, really, no need for so much stress. it will be ok. we've done quite a bit of flying with the kids, including when the twins were about the age that your twins are.

7. gdl203

It's primarily about others and not about the kids and us. I think my level of stress would be 90% lower if we were flying in a private plane with no one but family. It may be irrational but it's impossible not to feel that stress in a contained environment with people who are very often in a hostile mood. We cannot always find a solution as parents - sometimes one of the boys just has to let his frustration or fear out of his system by crying and screaming for a few minutes before calming down.

The idea of such an emotional blow-up on a plane surrounded by hostile people (yes, people are hostile to children on a plane - don't ask me why but they are - even Fuuma and others here have expressed such sentiments in previous threads, same as assholes who puff and stare in restaurants) is very stressful.

Then, there is the kids, they don't like to sit for 7 hours, they like to run, climb and do crazy things. In the red-eye part, I'm concerned thye may not sleep and be very upset and cranky about it.

I can't wait for this to be over.

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

It's primarily about others and not about the kids and us. I think my level of stress would be 90% lower if we were flying in a private plane with no one but family. It may be irrational but it's impossible not to feel that stress in a contained environment with people who are very often in a hostile mood. We cannot always find a solution as parents - sometimes one of the boys just has to let his frustration or fear out of his system by crying and screaming for a few minutes before calming down.

The idea of such an emotional blow-up on a plane surrounded by hostile people (yes, people are hostile to children on a plane - don't ask me why but they are - even Fuuma and others here have expressed such sentiments in previous threads) is very stressful.

Then, there is the kids, they don't like to sit for 7 hours, they like to run, climb and do crazy things. In the red-eye part, I'm concerned thye may not sleep and be very upset and cranky about it.

fuck the other people

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

fuck the other people
    Absolutely. I know this is taboo these days but wouldn't a little children's benadryl or caugh syrup, plus a xanax for you two, go a LONG way to smoothing everything out?

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Absolutely.

I know this is taboo these days but wouldn't a little children's benadryl or caugh syrup, plus a xanax for you two, go a LONG way to smoothing everything out?

My parents certainly made sure I was well-medicated (generally it was bourbon or some such) on even the shortest car trips, and I wasn't affected in the slightest. Well, other than being the only pre-schooler with my own 30-day chip.

11. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I know this is taboo these days but wouldn't a little children's benadryl or caugh syrup, plus a xanax for you two, go a LONG way to smoothing everything out?

Better living through chemistry!

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

The idea of such an emotional blow-up on a plane surrounded by hostile people (yes, people are hostile to children on a plane - don't ask me why but they are - even Fuuma and others here have expressed such sentiments in previous threads, same as assholes who puff and stare in restaurants) is very stressful.

I do get bothered but I know it is a closed environment and there is nothing to be done about it so I would never bother the parents or children, I think most people are that way so don't get tense over that. If you're using air france you'll get to be mad at way worse than crying children anyway if you watch the Adèle Blanc-Sec movie, what a load of crap! When are you going to be in Paris BTW, I'll be around in sept (in Africa right now).

13. gdl203

When are you going to be in Paris BTW, I'll be around in sept (in Africa right now).

Not going to Paris for a while (flying to Nice this time). Where in Africa?

14. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Ah, now I understand. Save some stress for the trip itself... Bad joke, but I can imagine that you're fully prepared (enough things to distract them, for instance), and apart from the preparation you don't have any influence until the flight itself. Try to let it be. And forgive me for using that clichÃ[​IMG].

15. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

Not going to Paris for a while (flying to Nice this time). Where in Africa?

Staying in Nice or traveling on? Such a great place to be this time of year, enjoy!

16. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

flying to Nice this time

That sounds very niece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. gdl203

Staying in Nice or traveling on? Such a great place to be this time of year, enjoy!

Don't talk about traveling ! [​IMG]

We're staying in Cannes. Yes, Teacher, because we cannes.

18. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

My parents certainly made sure I was well-medicated (generally it was bourbon or some such) on even the shortest car trips, and I wasn't affected in the slightest. Well, other than being the only pre-schooler with my own 30-day chip.
    All the ladies in kindergarten love a man who can hold his liquor.
    Better living through chemistry!
    It certainly would ease GDL's problems. Seriously though, the entirety of the baby-boomer generation was raised with this style of parenting. See how well they turned out...

19. 9frames

9frames Member

Enjoy every moment of time you have with your child, my boy just 9 1/2 months and over the course of the last 3 days he has learn to crawl very fast, explore every facet of the house, today climb into his rocker chair by himself.

All these events just sliped pass us while we are working at home. Children grow up very fast and learn extremely fast. I have the great luxury to work at home most of the time and learning to understand your child and their needs are very fulfilling.

Prepare to take some time to have arguments, and disagreements when deciding what the babies wants but trust your judgements when you observe long enough its very easy to understand them.

Also give your wife as much support and comfort as possible!

Good luck!

Gilbert

20. robbz9206

robbz9206 Senior member

Buy yourself this book by robert conti and learn the guitar. i promise you will learn over time the process of life through music. Drum and bass is the way forward. Buy yourself Kurt Rosenwinkels "Our Secret World" on Sep. 7 and play it for your kids. STORY BEGINS Best luck