Give your best advice to an expecting father

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by gdl203, Nov 10, 2008.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Bumping my thread to ask the fathers of twins (and others) for recommendations for a travel playpen/cot. Need something for the nany to occasionally put both boys in, but more often one while taking care of the other one or something else.

Looked at the Baby Bjorn that looks great, light and so easy to fold/unfold. But clearly too small for two monsters. The Graco Pack n Play are a nightmare to operate/fold and weigh 30 lbs - who travels with something that heavy? The Graco square playard looks just light enough and maybe just big enough for two?

I'm lost - need help

sorry - we used the graco pack and play. we liked it a lot, and we travelled with so much shit, that was small potatos.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Very beautiful children [​IMG]
    Thanks [​IMG]
    sorry - we used the graco pack and play. we liked it a lot, and we travelled with so much shit, that was small potatos.
    Thanks GT - was it the twin version? Did you use it only for travel or also in the house, etc... When I saw the salesguy fight with the thing for 5 minutes to fold it into a bulky 30 lbs piece, it scared me a little, especially after seeing the 10 lbs Baby Bjorn open and close in 5 seconds and no effort. So you're saying it's not that bad?

3. globetrotter

Thanks [​IMG]

Thanks GT - was it the twin version? Did you use it only for travel or also in the house, etc... When I saw the salesguy fight with the thing for 5 minutes to fold it into a bulky 30 lbs piece, it scared me a little, especially after seeing the 10 lbs Baby Bjorn open and close in 5 seconds and no effort. So you're saying it's not that bad?

mostly for traveling - I don't remember how much we used it not traveling. it really wasn't hard to set up or carry around.

4. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

i don't have the twin one, but like a base-model pack & play without any of the bells and whistles
    i think that basic model would be fine for twins actually as one infant seems to be lost at sea in it

as far as opening and closing the thing----there is a slight learning curve but a month of taking it upstairs and downstairs once a day has my time down to 30 seconds

the bjorn jawn is nice but not worth the money i reckon

5. romafan

romafan Senior member

we used graco for some lmtd travel. pack it twice and you'll have it down. they are on the heavy side. iirc, the main thing is the 'collapse'. for in-house tending we used 'bouncy' seats.

6. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

i borrowed a second pack and play that dates from 7 or so years back------it is MUCH heavier than the current models

7. zissou

zissou Senior member

does this feeling of joy ever go away?

No [​IMG] Congrats, man! Fully expect to (temporarily!) give up a lot for your boys, including sleep. But, it's so rewarding in the end!

Pack and plays are great, especially when you are traveling, or if you want to spend time outside, you can just stick them in it.

Good luck!

8. gdl203

mostly for traveling - I don't remember how much we used it not traveling. it really wasn't hard to set up or carry around.

Was it the twin version? If not, was it big enough for two? They're already 14-15 lbs and around 24-25" so I don't think they'd fit in a single PnP

9. globetrotter

Was it the twin version? If not, was it big enough for two? They're already 14-15 lbs and around 24-25" so I don't think they'd fit in a single PnP

you're going to hate me - we used one for a while (single) then went to two singles. since it was mostly for travel, two singles were easier to use than a twin, they fit in hotel rooms better.

but seriously, we carried a huge duffle, two car seats, and two pack and plays, when we traveled.

10. Tardek

Tardek Senior member

Run.

11. romafan

romafan Senior member

you're going to hate me - we used one for a while (single) then went to two singles. since it was mostly for travel, two singles were easier to use than a twin, they fit in hotel rooms better.

but seriously, we carried a huge duffle, two car seats, and two pack and plays, when we traveled.

[​IMG] It's funny because it's true. It was like being a roadie for the Allman Bothers......

12. skidsm

skidsm Senior member

congrats to you, gdl.

my wife and i are expecting our first currently (due in august). no twins for us, but this thread is a great collection of tips and thoughts. thanks to everyone who has thrown their two cents in.

13. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Do it! There is high demand (well.. there is some demand) and no supply...

As someone in the children's clothing industry for all of my life I can tell you that if there is no supply then there probably is no demand for that either.

If anything the kids market is overflowing with supply on almost everything.

14. gdl203

You forgot to mention two babies !... Thanks for the feedback. We were wondering if getting two lightweight single ones would be better than the twin one. The thing is that it will be mostly used for non-travel purposes (e.g. for the nany to be able to safely deal with them one at a time at home). More of a portable playpen, rather than a portable crib. In that case, I wonder if this one wouldn't work well for two boys (38x38 seems like enough room)...

[​IMG]

15. gdl203

Thanks povar - much appreciated

On another note, quick show of hands: which of you guys had to do sleep training? What method did you use and at what age did you do it? One of our boys doesn't need it and sleeps through the night now (with an occasional 2 min wake-up to get his pacifier), but the other still cries every two hours and wants to be fed (although it is clear he does not need it).

Wife needs to go back to work in 10 days and we'd like to sleep train him and everyone recommends crying it out / Ferber - we're just not sure whether 3.5 months is too young for that stuff. It's also [​IMG] to hear the cries like that