• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gitman factory "outlet" visit

DoubleDomer

Reaction score
I recently had the opportunity to stop by Gitman Bros. warehouse outlet, and I wanted to share the experience (sorry, no pics).

After much perusing, I wound up getting two Gitman Italian sport shirts and a tie. I wanted to comment on the fit and design on the shirt as I have never seen this before.

For reference:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/1...e-For-Men.html

First of all, the sewing is very minimalist. You can actually look inside the collar and see the interlining at the ends of the collar where the stitching ends - about an inch and a half on either end. Also, the collar does not have the typical stitching where one would fold the collar halves over. The collar naturally folds over where the interlining ends on the inner half. Second, there is no top button. Instead the tops of each side curve away to form an open vee instead of a button-closed overlap.

This contributes to a very soft collar that stays up (and open). The collar is not as soft as your trad OCBDs with no interlining, but it also won't collapse under a sweater. As for the rest of the construction, it's pretty tame. Good stitching, average buttons, boxy fit.

My overall impression of the shirt is favorable. The collar really makes the shirt interesting and the design allows the collar to remain soft but not wilted.

As for the location itself ... kind of a surprise. I'm talking about a dark corner in the back of a warehouse with boxes of shirts stacked on top of each other, a couple of clothing and tie racks, and a cash register from the eighties. They actually have to lead you through the warehouse around boxes, over pallet jacks, etc.

The side trip was worth it for me, though. It was kind of fun and I did get a few items. There were some very nice Gitman labelled shirts (gold and regular line), and other Gitman lines. No vintage shirts. No Burberry. No Thom Brown. Some Paul Stuart. And a few boutique brands. Like any true outlet, sparse selection, but great prices.

DCTieGuy

Reaction score
I recently had the opportunity to stop by Gitman Bros. warehouse outlet, and I wanted to share the experience (sorry, no pics).

After much perusing, I wound up getting two Gitman Italian sport shirts and a tie. I wanted to comment on the fit and design on the shirt as I have never seen this before.

For reference:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/1...e-For-Men.html

First of all, the sewing is very minimalist. You can actually look inside the collar and see the interlining at the ends of the collar where the stitching ends - about an inch and a half on either end. Also, the collar does not have the typical stitching where one would fold the collar halves over. The collar naturally folds over where the interlining ends on the inner half. Second, there is no top button. Instead the tops of each side curve away to form an open vee instead of a button-closed overlap.

This contributes to a very soft collar that stays up (and open). The collar is not as soft as your trad OCBDs with no interlining, but it also won't collapse under a sweater. As for the rest of the construction, it's pretty tame. Good stitching, average buttons, boxy fit.

My overall impression of the shirt is favorable. The collar really makes the shirt interesting and the design allows the collar to remain soft but not wilted.

As for the location itself ... kind of a surprise. I'm talking about a dark corner in the back of a warehouse with boxes of shirts stacked on top of each other, a couple of clothing and tie racks, and a cash register from the eighties. They actually have to lead you through the warehouse around boxes, over pallet jacks, etc.

The side trip was worth it for me, though. It was kind of fun and I did get a few items. There were some very nice Gitman labelled shirts (gold and regular line), and other Gitman lines. No vintage shirts. No Burberry. No Thom Brown. Some Paul Stuart. And a few boutique brands. Like any true outlet, sparse selection, but great prices.

What were the prices might I ask?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a Cooper collar and is offered by a number of brands and most shirtmakers as an option. Paul Stuart offers that collar but with a top button. This style collar has been around for over 50 years and is sometimes seen on old Hollywood film sets or publicity photos. It offers a bit more of a casual look than a regular dress shirt collar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads