Gitman Brothers Vintage

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ToruOkada, Apr 13, 2009.

1. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

Just to report the facts and also an FYI to not order the gitman dot shirt from Context thinking you will get it (I believe it will still allow you to order it...lol).

I just dunno. [​IMG].

All I can say is 15% off at Ac for the rest of the month and they have a good selection. Actually, after looking at it, they have the dot shirt in blue which I think I'd prefer over gray, anyway...

For people who think my emails above are rude (not sure if people do, but if so..), just remember we're paying a lot of money for stuff at amazing markups. And we deserve a reasonable level of customer service (example: looking at something before shipping it).

2. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

that sucks[​IMG] how did the shirt look anyway, might pick up the blue one

3. MichaelPemulis

MichaelPemulis Senior member

email wasn't rude at all. maybe you could ask that they put a note in everyone's account so that things get checked before they get sent? lol.

that being said, everyone makes mistakes. exceptional service doesn't necessarily mean mistake-free. it certainly does mean making things right immediately if a mistake happens. i am surprised by some retailers inability to understand the last part. i simply choose to go elsewhere.

also wondering what you thought about the dot shirt, looks cool, but also sort of weird in the SA pics. I grabbed the short sleeved grey striped seersucker earlier this week, there is nothing like seersucker in the summertime. that will also be my only short sleeved shirt for the summer - i also look a little funk in s/s, but when the temp goes above 85 is necessary imo.

4. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

the shadow dot was really, really cool. That's why I was so pissed the order got messed up....highly recommended. I just don't look good in short sleeve bd's, unless vacation or something, but I much just prefer to roll the sleeves..

If anyone wants it brand new (size s) and is willing to pay retail for it, it's theirs...sending it back to Context tomorrow or the day after. PM for pics or measurements.

5. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

slack,
    kinda settles the epaulet shadow dot vs. gitman shadow dot battle, yeah?

6. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

Well I'm not sure. The shirt fabric itself is awesome. Really cool details, nice cut. Only problem was it was missing the sleeves. While EP sleeves are actually too long for me anyway which makes Gitman a much better option for me personally..

I can take pics of the fabric if anyone is interested..

I like it enough to re-order it in blue from Ac..

7. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

Blue dish cloth...a closer look.. [​IMG] (click for details)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

^^ Nice. What's the fabric weight like?

9. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

^^ Nice. What's the fabric weight like?
    Thanks. It is an extremely, extremely light weight.

You could probably ball it up into the something the size of your fist. I think that's what surprises (possibly disappoints?) a lot of people after first seeing/unboxing these spring Gitman shirts. There is no heft, or weight, or any sort of structure. It's just a shirt that's, for me, nicely cut & proportioned and it's up to the wearer to take it from there.

Whereas there has been the EP comparisons...and it's almost apples to oranges, within the realm of comparison - despite them both being "button downs". EP provides a bit of structure because there tends to be more heft (or "beefiness" to the fabric. You can feel it on your body and laying across your shoulders. And a touch of stiffness. Where the Gitman’s feel like you're basically not even wearing a shirt..

10. Gaillimh Abu

Gaillimh Abu Senior member

Slack tide looks great, you wear gitmans very well they suit your shape.
    Can i ask you about sizing, do you find them tts and if you don't mind what are your measurements?
    Got a chambary gitman recently went M as its my usual and im just not fully sure if i got the wrong size or if they just ain't for me. Mine tends to billow out at the back.

11. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Thanks. It is an extremely, extremely light weight. You could probably ball it up into the something the size of your fist. I think that's what surprises (possibly disappoints?) a lot of people after first seeing/unboxing these spring Gitman shirts. There is no heft, or weight, or any sort of structure. It's just a shirt that's, for me, nicely cut & proportioned and it's up to the wearer to take it from there. Whereas there has been the EP comparisons...and it's almost apples to oranges, within the realm of comparison - despite them both being "button downs". EP provides a bit of structure because there tends to be more heft (or "beefiness" to the fabric. You can feel it on your body and laying across your shoulders. And a touch of stiffness. Where the Gitman's feel like you're basically not even wearing a shirt..
    That's good to know. I have several Gitmans and Epaulets, and I find that Gitman's shirts run either very substantial (in the case of their oxford cloth, which I love) or surprisingly light (like this floral poplin, which I'm wearing right now). Epaulet's shirts, on the other hand, pretty much run the gamut; they source all kinds of different fabrics. It's almost like Gitman has two seasons while Epaulet has four. That's not to take anything away from Gitman, as I love their pattern and their cut suits me nicely. - K

12. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

Slack tide looks great, you wear gitmans very well they suit your shape.
    Can i ask you about sizing, do you find them tts and if you don't mind what are your measurements?
    Got a chambary gitman recently went M as its my usual and im just not fully sure if i got the wrong size or if they just ain't for me. Mine tends to billow out at the back.

Thank you for the compliment

I haven't taken my exact measurements recently, but this may help-

- 5'8", 130 lbs
    - 28" waist
    - 36 Inch Chest
    - Wear small in all shirts, and for pants, whatever the smallest waist size is, offered.
    - Somewhat wide shoulders for my frame, with my best fitting shirt, probably about 16.5" S2S.

The fit on certain people can be hit or miss. In reality I think the lighter weight, spring/summer shirts (like the dishtowel) require a somewhat small waist to look correct (assuming you're not tucking in). Otherwise, you get that 'scallop' effect in the front of the shirt (stressing the very bottom button and the shirt attempting to separate) that other's have pointed out. Larger hips can also cause that billowing you mention -- it only accentuates it. The fact they have a tail that hangs down a little doesn't help. However though, as I pointed out, with a slim torso and waist the shirts will drape nicely and naturally and lay flat across your frame (front & rear). I do find them to be 'true to size' (trying to stop using that term), but on the slimmer side of the spectrum. So the shirts are not for all sizes and shapes, in my opinion. Especially the lighter weight spring/summer stuff..

than you again for the compliment

13. DCU

DCU Senior member

That dish towel shirt looks great.

What size would I be in Gitman Brothers Vintage if I normally wear sz. S in Band of Outsiders (I could probably even squeeze into sz. XS but it would be pretty tight)? My stats are pretty close to slack tide's but I'm probably a few lbs lighter.

14. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

That dish towel shirt looks great. What size would I be in Gitman Brothers Vintage if I normally wear sz. S in Band of Outsiders (I could probably even squeeze into sz. XS but it would be pretty tight)? My stats are pretty close to slack tide's but I'm probably a few lbs lighter.
    Generally speaking, Gitman's lightweight shirts come in around 18" pit to pit, but their oxfords are about an inch smaller. If you can wear a S or even XS in BoO, you're probably a Gitman XS, as I think BoO runs smaller than Gitman. (Not speaking from personal experience, as I own no BoO, so someone else will need to verify this.)

15. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

I literally feel for you super skinny guys. Having a bit of american meat on my bones makes it easier to find clothing that fits at a reasonable price. However, the gitman shirt in Medium that I'm selling in b & s isn't one of them. Just trying to get back what I paid instead of context cash if you would like to check out the thread.