Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Gitman Brothers Vintage

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ToruOkada, Apr 13, 2009.

1. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

99% sure those are the same, and it can be had for a lot less on SW

EDIT: if it doesn't fit you can sell it to me [​IMG]

2. *#..

*#.. Senior member

Did you look in the 'stepbrothers' section on the gitman vintage site? They go for $99 there.

Yeah, I looked there, but all those sale items are out of stock. The shirt I bought isn't even pictured there.

3. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

Odd, considering that they said the measurements for the Large was 17" S2S. So it seems consistent... [​IMG]

Anyways, just so I'm not overlooking something, are these two the same shirt?

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=1397
    http://www.rodengray.com/shop/L-S-Ox...variantid=4277

I'd say go with a medium and stop obsessing over the incossistent measurements especially based on thatoneguy's experience in mediums. I wear smalls and they measure about 17.5" shoulders from what I can remember.

4. thomasec

thomasec Senior member

Just a PSA for those in Chicago...Haberdash is doing 25% off all purchases through Sunday, and I believe they have a ton of Gitman Vintage.

5. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

As it happens, I just picked up the Gitman Vintage white oxford on sat, and I love it. My local store has had them for a while, and I realized they only had one large left, so I decided no reason to wait any longer, springs right around the corner, and this shirt is awesome.

The most recent white oxford I've worn is the J Crew "destroyed" white oxford, which retail for $68.00. Nothing really destroyed about it, but they wash it heavily so it comes slightly frayed at the collar, sleeves etc, but is very soft, and has a decent weight to it. Not long at all, so looks great untucked. Anyway, it's an xl, and I'm loosing weight, so it's getting too big, so I figured perfect time to get the Gitman white oxford in a size large.

About the Gitman fit... it's great. As of right now, it's to slim in the waist area for me, but within 1 or 2 months, I should of lost enough that it will fit perfect. Anyway, for size info, my large measures about 22.25" pit to pit, and 21" across the waist. The armholes are somewhat high, not super slim/modern like say a BoO, but not baggy at all. I would honestly say it's the classic oxford shirt fit, just slimmed up, so the arms aren't baggy extra. The quality of the fabric is great, really nice and substantial. Like the pic shows from needsupply, the shirt comes washed and is somewhat stiff/wrikled, but I think it would soften some with wear, but IMO is an excellent fabric.

In comparisson to W+H, I don't own the White oxford they make, but I do own the L/S blue oxford and the S/S red oxford from W+H.

It's hard to say I like one better than the other (although I am really liking the gitman). They just are different, but both are great. The gitman is a classic cut on the slim side, where as the W+H has the triple stitched sides, side gussets with the same fabric as the shirt sewn in there, as well as I think the W+H are a little shorter. Also, I would say the gitman white oxford is thicker/more substantial then the W+H

The Gitman is a great value at $130ish, If I recall, the W+H oxfords were around $130-150, but I think prices have gone up, because I think the ones from SS11 are made in japan, whereas the ones I have are made in canada.

Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with either of them, but if your are looking specifically for a white oxford, the gitman I have in front of me is awesome.

The W+H summer oxford that I got is great except that I'm not too fond of the width of the placket and the spacing of the buttons. This combination results in every time I sit down with it tucked in, the shirt puckers right at the stomach. This doesn't happen with the Gitmans I own because the placket is wider and I believe there may be more buttons.

The fabric and quality of the W+H oxford is there, just not the practicality.

6. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

Just a PSA for those in Chicago...Haberdash is doing 25% off all purchases through Sunday, and I believe they have a ton of Gitman Vintage.

Gitman makes all of their shirting too, so anything that has the Haberdash label sewn onto it was made by Gitman in the same fit as the Vintage cut.

7. Local_Disk

Local_Disk Senior member

The W+H summer oxford that I got is great except that I'm not too fond of the width of the placket and the spacing of the buttons. This combination results in every time I sit down with it tucked in, the shirt puckers right at the stomach. This doesn't happen with the Gitmans I own because the placket is wider and I believe there may be more buttons.

The fabric and quality of the W+H oxford is there, just not the practicality.

I thought that the summer oxford was too short to be tucked in? Maybe it's not supposed to be tucked in.

8. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Kop'd a couple of Gitman Shirts (white ocbd and batiste in a dark navy).

And...my god...these shirts kind of ruined shirts for me. They are fantastic. The fit and quality really impressed. Does anyone know how Epaulet shirts compare to Gitman?

9. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

Barney's had it for a moment before it sold out, but Context is accepting pre-orders on the Japanese Cotton Yarn Dyed Jacquard.

Shipping from Gitman on the 8th to Context, then on to us when they receive. Too bad you can't get it drop-shipped by Gitman, direct. I think it's one of the cooler looking Gitmans released so far this season and await it patiently and with high expectations.

10. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

Kop'd a couple of Gitman Shirts (white ocbd and batiste in a dark navy).

And...my god...these shirts kind of ruined shirts for me. They are fantastic. The fit and quality really impressed. Does anyone know how Epaulet shirts compare to Gitman?

+1 its all I buy now. Epaulets fit one size smaller and are longer on the sides, Gitmans have that large scallop

11. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

Barney's had it for a moment before it sold out, but Context is accepting pre-orders on the Japanese Cotton Yarn Dyed Jacquard.

Shipping from Gitman on the 8th to Context, then on to us when they receive. Too bad you can't get it drop-shipped by Gitman, direct. I think it's one of the cooler looking Gitmans released so far this season and await it patiently and with high expectations.

I know it's not exactly in the same ballpark, but Epaulet's shadow dot shirt crushed the shit out of this shirt. Which isn't to say that this won't be an interesting shirt in a great fabric, I am sure it will be. I'm just an internet nerd splitting hairs on a fashion forum.

12. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I'm just an internet nerd splitting hairs on a fashion forum.

Aren't we all?

13. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

+1 its all I buy now. Epaulets fit one size smaller and are longer on the sides, Gitmans have that large scallop

Really 1 size smaller? I'm a M for Gitman. I guess technically, I could be a S (based on their sizing chart). But I was going to try a M.

How's the quality on Epaulet though? I know if I go into the Epaulet thread, it's all love. Just like to compare it to Gitman. Pricing is similar...both made in USA too, right?

Scallop?

14. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

Also interested to hear someone's opinion who owns both? I've handled and tried on both but my last visit to epaulet was a while ago.

15. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

I wear a M in Gitman L in Epaulet, in fact the L Epaulet measurements are practically identical to M in Gitman. I cant really comment too much on quality, I only have one light weight shirt but from what I can tell its very good. idk about their oxfords though.

And scallop as in the hem of the shirt:
    [​IMG]