Gitman Brothers Vintage

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ToruOkada, Apr 13, 2009.

1. REParola

REParola Active Member

I can appreciate what your saying, but for me and I have to actually try on dress shirts . While Wolf vs. Goat, and W+H are probably great I couldn't find a stockist near me at the time. As far as the quality my only reference is Brooks Brothers which it beats. Glad to know it's not a terrible idea to slim it down, I'll hopefully get more use out of it after tailoring than I had in the past year.

2. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I own dozens of shirts that run the gamut, and each of my Gitmans is among my favorites. Where are the questions regarding quality?

My sample size is one, since I bought a shirt to see what I thought and decided I'd rather buy BBBF shirts, which are in the same price range but are superior shirts.

My specific complaints about GBV:

- Plastic buttons (on a $150 shirt???)

- Stiff interlining in collar and cuffs, makes the shirt much less comfortable

- Fake split yoke - come on!

- Overall poor quality control - my sleeve pleats are not symmetrical (2 on one arm and 3 on the other) and there are a couple of wonky spots in the body seams.

At <$100 I wouldn't complain (other than the quality control, which is just plain poor), but in this price range I expect higher quality - BBBF are also made in USA, are also slim fit, and they have MOP buttons, real split yokes, and very high quality control.

3. chunkmo

chunkmo Well-Known Member

I wish someone put up fits, measurements and a review when I was looking over the Gitman shirts so here you go... I'm 5'8, 142lb, 36" chest with a light athletic build wearing Gitman Vintage small. Love the shirt but it has a bit of a strange cut. The front is tight and form fitting, where as the rear is "poofy" like theres too much loose fabric compared to the rest of the shirt. If my arms are down or in a relaxed pose the back billows out and makes me look like a hunchback. My guess is that they need the extra fabric to allow for arm movement since it all gets taken up if i lift my arms. And I can see what people mean by it flares out a lot at the hips As for the quality, it seems like a pretty solid shirt that would hold up to a lot of abuse but there are loose thread pretty much everywhere on the shirt (esp around the buttons and hem) but its not noticable unless you look very closely. The inside of the placket actually has selvage which i tried to capture in a photo but its very small and blends in with the shirt too well. Overall i'm pretty happy. Not sure what to do about the rear billowing though. Get it darted?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. bombers

bombers Senior member

Dart it brother.

5. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Dart it brother.
    Better yet, have the sides taken in.

6. meso

meso Senior member

What do you expect, ivory? A lot of "$150 shirts" have em.

7. Rodders

Rodders Member

Great fit the Gitman shirts. Have a few. Slimmer cut that what I usually go for but not to over the top. Quite a few places stocking there gear now.

8. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

Used to be a huge fan of Gitman, then I realized Club Monaco does oxford button-downs that replicate the fit of the Gitman shirts, but only for $59. Don't forget the student discount, the shirts can be had for $51 after tax. Considering the quality is about the same, and Club Monaco does the thick weave oxfords, I can't justify buying GBV. Even if you wanted to get them tailored, the final cost is still much cheaper.

9. Psydelik

Psydelik Senior member

Used to be a huge fan of Gitman, then I realized Club Monaco does oxford button-downs that replicate the fit of the Gitman shirts, but only for $59. Don't forget the student discount, the shirts can be had for $51 after tax. Considering the quality is about the same, and Club Monaco does the thick weave oxfords, I can't justify buying GBV. Even if you wanted to get them tailored, the final cost is still much cheaper.
    I totally agree. I compared them side by side and they are pretty damn similar. I'm a student, so I can't exactly afford a 180 buck oxford shirt. CM fits me better, as well and I can get like three CM oxfords for the price of one GBV. To each their own, however.

10. subdivide

subdivide Senior member

My specific complaints about GBV:

- Stiff interlining in collar and cuffs, makes the shirt much less comfortable

- Fake split yoke - come on!

- Overall poor quality control - my sleeve pleats are not symmetrical (2 on one arm and 3 on the other) and there are a couple of wonky spots in the body seams.

At <$100 I wouldn't complain (other than the quality control, which is just plain poor), but in this price range I expect higher quality - BBBF are also made in USA, are also slim fit, and they have MOP buttons, real split yokes, and very high quality control.

Totally agree, you nailed it. I ordered two shirts from Gitman Bros this fall and felt like a sucker when they arrived. Then I read that interview with one of the designers where he specifically mentioned the split yoke and matched seams as points of quality in a Gitman shirt. Well shit.

11. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

little love for the gitman sisters... now if i could find the red chambray in small for myself..[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

I bought that same weave red oxford at Club Monaco like 3 days ago. Like I said before, the fit was nearly identical but at a fraction of the price. I'll try and get a pic...

13. bowvalley2000

bowvalley2000 Senior member

i have a red chambray gitman that i am thinking of selling (in small). i'll let you know

14. darnold

darnold Senior member

15. slack tide

slack tide Senior member