• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gitman Brothers Vintage

bbhewee

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the difference is between the Gitman Vintage shirts and the Gitman Bros shirts found at SAKS (same top label as the GV, no bottom vintage label) in terms of fit (I'm guessing quality is about the same). Someone just sent me some measurements and they seem about the same.

joz411no

Reaction score
Given the fact that this is the "Gitman Brothers Vintage" thread I'm certain there are others here with a great deal more experience, at least with GV, than myself. I own a few of both. I wear a large GV and a medium (casual/sport) shirt of Gitman Brothers. The dress shirts you'll have to buy by the neck and sleeve. I find the standard sizing of their dress shirts on the large side.

bbhewee

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the above.
The thing is, were they labeled as Gitman Gold or any newer label, I wouldn't even look at them. But these come with the old-steez Gitman Bros label, no vintage label underneath, and the measurements are pretty close.
I may just give them a shot anyway
Tahnks again.

joz411no

Reaction score
I think I'm catching on to what you're saying. Perhaps someone else can back me up here, but the sizing and even materials used in Gitman Vintage make them an entirely different animal. The Gitman Vintage, though having classic style, pattern and material, has a more modern (slimmer) fit. Gitman Brothers, Gitman Gold, etc. (though you can request a slim fit) from what I've acquired, have a classic style and a more classic (full-bodied) fit. My guess is that the Gitman Vintage is their only line that, by default, has that slimmer more tapered cut/look.

2344fgh

Reaction score
I eventually received my Gitman shirts in the mail, and I'm very impressed. As expected, I need bring them to the tailor to make the chest slimmer.

Some are quite wrinkled from shipping. Should I iron them first or can I bring them to the tailor as is?

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoque
I eventually received my Gitman shirts in the mail, and I'm very impressed. As expected, I need bring them to the tailor to make the chest slimmer. Some are quite wrinkled from shipping. Should I iron them first or can I bring them to the tailor as is?
really? is it because you went up a size or are you between sizes like me? i have never taken a gv to the tailor to be taken in the chest, but i would think you would want to get most of the wrinkles out before the tailor marks the shirt and what not...

2344fgh

Reaction score
An M is too short in every dimension for me, so I size up to an L, which also fits a bit better in the shoulders.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
really? is it because you went up a size or are you between sizes like me? i have never taken a gv to the tailor to be taken in the chest, but i would think you would want to get most of the wrinkles out before the tailor marks the shirt and what not...

and the other thing to remember...if you have the chest taken in to much you then have an issue of the shoulders looking long. i took in a j crew L BD shirt (im a M in the crew) and the tailor did exactly what i asked, he took it in like an inch or so on each side, but then the shoulder area looked awkward. now, 90% of the people out there would not notice it (i even had to point it out to the tailor), but if your like me and super picky on how shirts fit, especially in the shoulders and chest you may also have to get the tailor to take in the shoulders as well. from what my tailor told me moving the shoulder area is a *****...they guy doesnt look at me the same when i come in...
smile.gif

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoque
An M is too short in every dimension for me, so I size up to an L, which also fits a bit better in the shoulders.
Maybe these aren't cut for your build? And let's see pics before you decide to slim them, you could end up getting it too tight.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear L in BoO. Thinking about getting some shirts from GBV, but not sure if I should get M or L. According to the measurements on context, medium should fit me. Thoughts? Also how slim are the sleeves on these shirts?

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
yeah prada...your a medium, you may even fit in a small but you may not want to stretch. also, the measurements at context (especially the gitman shirts) are not always correct. i originally bought a L from them, which according to them measures 22.5 pit-to-pit, but when I got it i measured it and a large is actually 23+" pit-to-pit. im 5'11" and 175-180 lbs and i fit fine in a gitman M fine, which if you use the measurements at context you wouldnt think its possible. but oh it is possible! i can fit in both a M and L in the gitman vintage. the large is a little looser fitting obviously.

seriously, the best way i have found to order stuff from context is to compare your size with the size the model is wearing. usually most people pictured on there site wearing a M, and are 6'0" 160 or 165 lbs. so i look at how it fits on them and then order accordingly to how i want the garment to fit. sometimes they will measure a garment over the phone if you can catch them at the right time.

hope this helps.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
yeah prob right, the only reason i say that is because i have to wear an xl in boo, a l in boo i not wearable for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads