1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gitman Brothers Vintage

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ToruOkada, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Numbernine

Numbernine Well-Known Member

HBO time than it takes
    [​IMG][/quote]it is difficult to tell from this pic but what I think you have is this ; when a buttonhole is sewn there is not a hole yet. It is cut out after the sewing is complete . I belive th,at those are just threads that can snipped with a pair of scissors . If not it is easily repairable anyone with a machine capable of making buttonholes( that's about 99.9% of machines) can fix it in minutes

2. rydude87

rydude87 Member

How good is the warehouse sale. Are there any better sales usually or can I find these shirts cheaper at other stores?

3. VJAYEYE

VJAYEYE Well-Known Member

Anyone have the patchwork button down and can comment on the fit and look in person? Thx

4. tjonesd2

tjonesd2 Well-Known Member

a few that have a slightly cheaper price tag at final sale, but none anywhere close to this that take returns. That said IMO this was a pretty lame warehouse sale

5. tjonesd2

its printed, not actual patchwork. Do not recommend.

6. jas0nt

jas0nt Well-Known Member

Do the fleece shirts lose its fleeciness after washing?

7. kentpope

kentpope Well-Known Member

Interestingly, the shirt I had a problem with was the olive overdye as well.

8. rusticchasm

rusticchasm Well-Known Member

it is difficult to tell from this pic but what I think you have is this ; when a buttonhole is sewn there is not a hole yet. It is cut out after the sewing is complete . I belive th,at those are just threads that can snipped with a pair of scissors . If not it is easily repairable anyone with a machine capable of making buttonholes( that's about 99.9% of machines) can fix it in minutes[/QUOTE]

no, poor picture. the hole itself is fine, its the fabric above the hole that completely shred apart
    gbv and i are figuring it out

9. JRS1979

JRS1979 Well-Known Member

^Excellent customer service from these guys. They are sending me a new replacement olive overdye, even though my purchase was from Mr Porter. Glad I emailed now - they are good guys.

10. fiefiefie

fiefiefie Member

concur great customer service

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  11. akjc

akjc Well-Known Member

Picked up a blue Oxford around Christmas time during a sale in a large. The fit is perfect in the shoulder and chest, but it's too loose in the waist and way too long at 5'10.

Does anyone have experience with bringing these shirts to the tailor? I realized that they're sewn with French seems and would be more difficult to tailor.

If it's too much work I'm probably just going to sell it. If anyone wants it, PM me to discuss. However, priority is to keep it.

12. Timbaland

Timbaland Well-Known Member

You can have them sew down the box pleat or add darts for slimness.

13. jas0nt

jas0nt Well-Known Member

What's the colour fastness like for the overdyed dark shitrts (eg navy)? Does it fade easily?

14. sleepsatfouram

sleepsatfouram Well-Known Member

I wear a GVB in small and have always worn a small for GVB. Some fit a little tighter and some fit just nice, there will be a slight difference in size consistencies but nothing major that I have encountered so far.

Hope it helps.

Quote:
    I doubt it is difficult for a tailor to shorten the shirt. I altered my other shirt's hem and when it is done, they look the same.

Like it was mentioned, the patchwork is printed. I own one and the fabric is soft, light and really comfy. Lets air in easily and perfect for summer !
    As for the fit, it fits like how a GV would fit.

I personally like how the shirt looks and I think it looks really nice too when worn.

15. rusticchasm

rusticchasm Well-Known Member

I have a few, no fadings after one year

16. PersilVouchers

PersilVouchers Well-Known Member

It does depend on what colour you go for and how often you wear it.

I have the black overdye which seemingly doesn't EVER age, the olive one which has faded a little bit over 4 years, and the navy which has faded quite a bit in 2 years. The navy one is indigo dyed though so I was kind of expecting it. I wear it to work a lot so the elbows have faded a bit as I'm at my desk most of the day, and it is starting to fade on creases around the cuffs which the fabric pinches. I'll take some pics when I next wear it.

It's probably my favourite shirt though, so does get a disproportionate amount of wear and washing. I'm planning on getting another. I've noticed that the fabric they're using on the current batch is ever so slightly lighter and coarser so maybe it'll age differently. Either way, dope shirt and looks great with a kahki chino/trouser or very faded jeans (IMO).

17. tjonesd2

I lost some weight and am looking to trade my XLs for your Ls if anyone is interested.

18. sleepsatfouram

sleepsatfouram Well-Known Member

I received my shirt and yes, the collar and sleeve placket are stiff as you mentioned. I don't think there is anything that could be done to soften it as the stiffness comes from the interfacing under the placket and collar.

Nevertheless, it is still a pretty decent shirt and I'm happy with it.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  19. Portland Dry Goods

Portland Dry Goods Well-Known Member

237 Commercial Street, Portland, Me 04102
    Wanted to cross post this from our affiliate thread;

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Gitman Vintage madras are up on the web, check em out here.

20. JChance

JChance Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 14, 2015