1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gitman Brothers Vintage

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ToruOkada, Apr 13, 2009.

1. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

I agree -- the armholes on GV shirts are too low. I bought a few last Winter and I think I am done buying the brand.

2. JChance

JChance Senior member

30% off F/W'14 GBV small-collar at South Willard

That indigo red pin dot shirt :nodding:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  3. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

xl sold out. damn.

4. JChance

JChance Senior member

Up to 50%

5. whyme?

whyme? Senior member

what's with the "smaller button down collar" description on most (all?) of the gitman vintage shirts on south willard?

the healthier sized collar is one of the reasons i love gitman. are these different versions?

6. JChance

JChance Senior member

different folks different strokes.

smaller collar at willard = 2.5" instead of the standard 3"

Imo, I like the small collar better because it looks cuter and reminds me of Patrik Ervell-type of shirt. Regular collar do accentuate manliness though. Depends on what you are going for.

I'd actually pay more to get small collar because they are more rare.

Question is, will South Willard go down further? Or will they give out free shipping at some point? I hate that $14 shipping.
    --Edit: Found a 70% off post in January some years ago.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  7. whyme?

whyme? Senior member

^ okay, thanks - so there are actually two collar sizes available and south willard is offering the smaller version?

is it safe to assume that if the retailer makes no mention of a smaller collar, it is the regular size?

8. JChance

JChance Senior member

Yes.

And yes, not many retailers carry small collar. I read that only South Willard, imogene + willie and COC (what's this stand for) stock them.

9. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I purchased a navy gingham from Need Supply with a small collar. There was no mention on the NS website that it was not the regular 3" so I felt a bit jilted. It had a 2" collar and just never felt right so I sold it.

[​IMG]

10. rusticchasm

rusticchasm Senior member

i've never seen them do a free shipping
    haven't seen a 70% in a while now...

11. JChance

JChance Senior member

anyone knows if EndClothing's GBV sale will go down further or is this as good as it gets? Any prediction of when?

12. 0JSIMPS0N

0JSIMPS0N Senior member

I love GBV shirt patterns/fabrics but it fits like horrible shit (for lack of a better term). I fit most brands really well in general, 5'11 160ish. Usually a S/46 and a 15-15.5 neck size, nothing is too long or too short on me etc. But the fit of the GBV shirts are horrible and just about every online shop confirms this.

My observations on a size small:

Collar on a S is literally like 14.5" and sits extremely weird and high on the neck
    Low armholes
    Super short sleeves (I am like a 33" sleeve length)
    Length is too short to be tucked in, but sits weirdly worn out with the slit riding up everytime because of the low armholes
    Shitty fit on the sleeves, flares out in the lower forearm
    Stupid fucking lower button
    Collar is overly long and unsightly
    Back pleat looks bad

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  13. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

Their cut is terrible and they can't seem to cut two shirts the same. I cannot comprehend how they stay in business. I'm at the point where I'm probably going to donate the shirts I have and just buy new ones from J Crew, their fit is exponentially better than Gitman and the buttons don't fall off anywhere near as often.

14. rusticchasm

rusticchasm Senior member

i'll take your shirts if you have em in xs or s...

15. elisiX

elisiX Senior member

Doubt it at this point. Also, most sizes are gone it seems.

Lots of interesting comments in this thread which surprise me a little.

I've recently bought just about every colour available from End, including a couple of the exclusive colours in Bordeaux and Mustard. The first 5 arrived a week or so back (Pre-sale), and they all fit exactly the same. I've only owned one Gitman shirt which is a on M, so I bought all the new shirts in M also, and to me they fit the same as the shirt from a year ago.

My only complaints are that the sleeves and tail/body are a little too long for an M. The arms I expect to tailor as with all my shirts, but the tail is at a length which I'd expect on a shirt which is typically tucked in. I personally don't see the majority of Gitman wearers tucking these shirts in. I'm not suggesting BOO lengths exactly, but an inch shorter wouldn't hurt.

16. sleepsatfouram

sleepsatfouram Well-Known Member

It will only get better when there is free international shipping. :)

In terms of fit, I have been wearing S and they all fit almost the same too and the cut fits me pretty well except, of course, the sleeves which is quite inconsistent in length but it makes no difference to me as I roll them up.

Length wise, S for me isn't a problem as I stand at 6'0. I do believe they make shirts with shorter length. I own one and the bottom button to the hem of the shirts is significantly shorter compared to my other Gitmans.

In terms of prints and fabrication, they are always on point. I always look forward to see what's going to show next season !

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  17. elisiX

elisiX Senior member

Yup agree on the sleeves as I too roll mine.

If I'm wearing them unrolled its generally because I have a blazer or jacket on in which case it doesn't matter.

I notice they have the new made to order option where you can choose some lengths, but who is paying retail! Not me that's for sure.

18. sleepsatfouram

sleepsatfouram Well-Known Member

I know I wouldn't too ! But if you are going to just take an inch off the hem, a local tailor will do it for far less than going to Gitman for MTO.

19. coffeequeen

coffeequeen Well-Known Member

agree about the price of their made to order, but I can't seem to find that flecked herringbone option anywhere on the internet. has anyone encountered it out there?

20. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I think that's the purpose of the gitman fit? It's based off a vintage cut and is a bit billowy and a generally comfortable fit. When people wear them slim I think they look goofy as hell -

slim
    [​IMG]

vs

regular fit
    [​IMG]