1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gitman Brothers Vintage

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ToruOkada, Apr 13, 2009.

1. zissou

zissou Senior member

Picked up the Japanese linen shirt, which I had missed earlier this year.

One of the Christmas break projects is to attempt to slim down all of my Gitman shirts myself.

(Weird, my photo disappeared)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  2. jtammanyhall

jtammanyhall Member

Pretty much cleaned up of the good stuff within ten minutes. The louder patterns are still here, but don't know if those will even last until this evening.

Edit: yup, talked to a sales rep--would try to get to the sample sale ASAP.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  3. JChance

JChance Senior member

Can someone speak about how the quality of the linen oxford on Gilt compares to the regular thick Winter oxford?

4. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

5. kentpope

kentpope Senior member

Have to say I'm a little skeptical of these. First of all, some of these are marked as Gitman Bros not Gitman Vintage. And the ones marked as GBV don't seem to have the signature horizontal stitching on the bottom button.

I've heard it said that GBV manufactures shirts specifically for Gilt, though I have no idea if that's true or not. Just a "buyer beware" heads up.

6. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

Also just noticed, the last button hole is not sideways or green.

Just cleared out my cart...

7. Skell6009

Skell6009 Senior member

I got there at 12:15pm and they already had an early friends and family session so a lot of the good stuff got picked out already. I managed to find a few decent shirts though. They might get a small shipment of neckwear and maybe one more shipment of shirts but it was pretty much picked clean by 1pm. Probably no point in going now if you were thinking about it.

8. deejaysoy

deejaysoy Senior member

Buddy at the sale said one person cleaned them out koppin 65 shirts.

9. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

Eb

Ebay

10. Skell6009

Skell6009 Senior member

Jesus Christ. They certainly weren't doing anything to inhibit us by providing free garbage bags for us to grab and stuff.

11. tjonesd2

tjonesd2 Senior member

lmao did any of yall end up buying anything there?

12. jtammanyhall

jtammanyhall Member

Lol, may they sit in peace on the bay smh lol. And yeah, I know right re: garbage bags. Some chick was just grabbing shirts from EVERY men's size box lol. Maybe a limit on items bought next time would be a good idea?

13. sholom

sholom Senior member

This all speaks to the demise of the sample sale. I was going to go but figured that something like this was going to happen so I decided against it. With the proliferation of access to the internet, everyone knows about sample sales now and there are so many people that use them as a way to make money. If an extremely popular brand such as Gitman Vintage in this example sells their stuff at discounts of 80%-90% off people who are eager to make a quick buck will wake up in the wee hours of the morning to be the first people at the sale and clear out all the good merchandise. The guy who bought 60 shirts and is now selling them on grailed and ebay just made $1950. We, those who just want clothes on the cheap are left with nothing to buy at many decent sales. I don't know if there is a solution or if there has to be a solution but putting a limit on buying or lowering the discount will allow more devoted buyers access to the sale but it also comes with the risk of the company not quickly clearing out all their stuff. Think of all those staffers at Gitman. They now can go home after an hour...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  14. LA-718

LA-718 Active Member

They should've put an item limit per category, per person, but only until the last day or two. I don't even bother with these sample sales since they've all just become a haven for eBay hoarders.

15. drugstoreblonde

drugstoreblonde Member

I've just found that I can't trust myself to make sound, rational decisions and buy things I would actually wear when perusing through the bins at a sample sale. Instead, I go into "blind looter" mode and just start putting things in my arms and hope they don't fit like garbage bags or corsets.

1 person likes this.
  16. PersilVouchers

PersilVouchers Well-Known Member

This is so on point. And it's not just sample sales - concert tickets, limited edition kicks, limited edition prints, pop-up restaurants...

17. pvoytko

pvoytko Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had a proxy successfully pick me these up from the sample sale

5 shirts 1 tie for 220

18. PersilVouchers

PersilVouchers Well-Known Member

That's a great haul for the money! I have the Oxford with the printed dot. Love that shirt.

And the Hula girl one is great - never wanted to pay full price for it, but under $50? Damn. I'm jealous.

19. rusticchasm

rusticchasm Senior member

myhabit has their gitman blue line and gitman bros up. free shipping if you use a mastercard. no GBV

20. zissou

zissou Senior member

I received my "Gitman Vintage" shirt from GILT yesterday. While it is indeed the Japanese linen from SS14, the shirt itself seems to be a standard Gitman short. It has a reinforced collar, cuffs, and placket. Ironically, I think I like it a little more than most of my GV shirts. The fit is slimmer, although it still has the #%$^%*#! low arm holes. Either way, I need to stop buying Gitman shirts. There's just too much to dislike about the fit and construction.