• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gitman Brothers Vintage

jadough

Reaction score
ordered my first gitman. thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

Bohe

Reaction score
Agree on them not being as slim as i'd want but still very good.

Kashiwa

Reaction score
Which maker do you all find to be comparable or better than GV (for the same or less money)?

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Are you saying Gitman Brothers or Gitman Brothers Vintage isn't slim enough?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^He probably means GBV. I gave up on super slim shirts a while ago, and GBV is a nice fit without being too baggy. GB shirts apparently fit like a tent.

Kashiwa- I have an OCBD from Wharf Clothing, and I like the cut and construction a little better than GBV. Don't laugh, but I actually have a heavy oxford cloth shirt from J Crew that I think is comparable in quality and construction (not that I would pay $150 for a J Crew shirt).

triton

Reaction score
Has anyone had the collar of a gitman shirt altered to make it less big/bulky?

Always loved gitman patterns/material but find the large amount of material around the top button a bit obtrusive.

Would it be a complicated alteration to make the collar a bit smaller/more streamlined?

luker

Reaction score
Thanks RuffyD.

If the event is over for gitman vintage can we still purchase?I tried contacting their support to clarify abit,but was told that they could not find the brand. I gave them the link then and they have not get back to me..

@ zissou
I bought that from epaulet.Have to agree..for the price the quality should have been better...I doubt I can do anything about it now and I should have check thoroughly when I first received it..was disappointed but well...guess I'll have to live with it like what kashiwa said..

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Epaulet would be most comparable to GBV. Both are solid. Our legacy, which used to be cheaper, is also great. OL doesn't flare as much as many GBV shirts.

Freidegger

Reaction score
Yes, I have this issue too. On some of them the difference in length is quite small, but there is one where it's as big as on yours.
That's the only brand I've bought that has this issue.
Another evidence of the quality of their workmanship can be seen on the "native stripe" shirts, where the stripes are not symmetrical on the sleeves, collar and yoke.
They probably market it as "unique appearance" or some other kind of crap.

I recently bought a navy overdyed,haven got to wear it yet. I've noticed the length on one side of the shirt is longer than the other (shall let the pictures do the talking...)

apologies for the poor image...
button up to the last button,one side is longer than the other...anyone has the same issue with their shirts?

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received my Gitman fine-striped oxford shirt, but it has many wrinkles. Will this go away after a few washes?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@ zissou
I bought that from epaulet.Have to agree..for the price the quality should have been better...I doubt I can do anything about it now and I should have check thoroughly when I first received it..was disappointed but well...guess I'll have to live with it like what kashiwa said..

Well, you can always pay a tailor $5 to shorten the long side if it bothers you...

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you just iron it?
True that. But it's the first time I got a new wrinkled shirt from a shop, so I was a little bit unsure.

Why does some shirts, especially Gitmans, have two buttons at the bottom of the shirt?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're extra buttons in case you lose one off the shirt :plain:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads