• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gitman Brothers Vintage

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

warrenjl1

Reaction score

I own many GV shirts including the blue dishtowel and the blue oxford, both in large. In Brooks Brothers slim fit I am a 15.5/35.5. The Blue Oxford fits me very well (too loose in collar to wear a tie, though). The dishtowel fits me, but not as well. It is noticeably looser and longer in the body. I don't think it's big enough for me to size down, but it's big enough that I've seriously considering having a tailor do something to it. Based on your brooks brother's measurements, I think you sound between a medium and large in the blue oxford. Maybe a darted large?
For what it's worth, the blue dishtowel is the largest of my GV shirts, with the blackwatch tartan lightweight being the smallest. I have found significant variation in size, and not just between the casual shirts and the oxfords. Despite the variation in body size, I've always found that the large fits me perfectly in the shoulders, so I've never considered switching to medium.

So the current season blackwatch shirt fits slimmer? Any more details on this before I shell out for one?

VJAYEYE

Reaction score
I'm now gonna have to ship back my third gitman shirt this season. It seems like all their shirts this season fit different. I believe I got the blackwatch shirt and it is running small. If you can, try on before purchasing gitman shirts this season. I guess I may be selling my camo shirt when it arrives too.......

ThomSquared

Reaction score
I will confirm that all of their yarn dyed brushed oxfords run almost a full size small, but it's the only shirt this season that fits differently in my opinion.

tetsuo

Reaction score
i'm interested in this season's olive overdye oxford, but there so much discrepancy between measurements of the same shirt from different shops.

one shop says a L has a 22" chest and 18.5" shoulders, another says 23" chest and 19" shoulders, and another shop says their L's have a 24.5" chest and 19.25" shoulders.

i have no experience with gitman shirts, which one looks the most accurate?

sorry for making another post about sizing question, but there is so much variation in sizing. i'm usually around 16.5 for shirts, 170 pounds, 5'10". i like my shirts to have around 22.5 chest and 18.5 shoulders. anyone care to recommend me what size to get in the overdye oxford that would be closest to that?

Last edited:

Feji

Reaction score
22" p2p looks most accurate, since Gitman Vintage's oxfords tend to be on the smaller side. Most of the discrepancy is from the fact that different fabrics behave differently during the shirt making process. Previous seasons, Gitman only had 2-3 different fabrics, so sizing was viewed as more consistent. This past summer and current season, there are a ton of new fabrics...and most shops just measure one set of shirts and use the same measurements across the board for all of their Gitman stock.

Edit : The Polka Dot Gitman really is all that.

Last edited:

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think another thing that leads to the measuring variance is the box pleat on the back of the shirts. Pulling the fabric tight, to fully use up the extra fabric can yield an extra 1"or more in that measurement. Just a guess. I think if you are 5'10" and 170lbs you should probably try them on. The mediums come in at about 21" p2p I believe and the large are around 23" in my experience. I'm 6' 200lbs and the large shirts seem just a little on the big side for me (mediums far to small however) so I would think a large would be quite big on you actually.

*#..

Reaction score
^Agree with the other posters, you're probably a medium. Get your shoulders/pit-pit measured or compare gitman medium/large to your best-fitting shirt.

tetsuo

Reaction score
thanks to everyone who offered their advice

^Agree with the other posters, you're probably a medium. Get your shoulders/pit-pit measured or compare gitman medium/large to your best-fitting shirt.

yes, the problem is i'm seeing such a discrepancy in the measurements between different shops. im trying to figure out which size would be closest to a 22.5" chest and 18.5 shoulders. the measurements provided by different shops vary so much that some shops say a M should be ok while another shop will say M is too small.

Last edited:

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
M should be fine. Large will be too large, for sure.

The thing is 18.5" 22.5" chest doesn't really correlate with 170lbs 5'10"

tetsuo

Reaction score
thanks guys for the help. just ordered the M overdyed olive oxford.

89andy

Reaction score
Anyone got the grey flannel? I believe they run quite a bit small, so I'm thinking of ordering a medium. I did try on a small before and they were maybe at least half a size small. If anyone got a medium flannel and can measure that would be awesome. BTW I can confirm that the yard dyed ones are at least a full size smaller which is absolutely ridiculous. Couldn't even put on a small.

warrenjl1

Reaction score

Anyone got the grey flannel? I believe they run quite a bit small, so I'm thinking of ordering a medium. I did try on a small before and they were maybe at least half a size small. If anyone got a medium flannel and can measure that would be awesome. BTW I can confirm that the yard dyed ones are at least a full size smaller which is absolutely ridiculous. Couldn't even put on a small.

I've got a medium coming in the mail to me this week. I'll give you the details when it arrives. If it doesn't fit me (I didn't realize when I ordered that this one fit smaller also), would you like first dibs on it before I return it? I got it for $165... a bit cheaper than I've seen it anywhere else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads