Gitman Brothers Vintage

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ToruOkada, Apr 13, 2009.

1. datsunfan

datsunfan Senior member

From what I've seen in with the shirts I've bought and sold lately is that the casual shirts run slightly larger. I haven't handled a dish towel though, only madras and flannels.

I'm about your size (41 suit, 34" waist, 16.5" neck) and like the fit of the large better, but I prefer a slightly looser fit than a lot of people in this thread. I tried an oxford in both medium and large and found that the medium was too tight for my taste. There wasn't any pulling or anything like that that would indicate that it was too small though. I also found the armholes in the medium to be too tight for my taste; you might want to ask if you can get armhole measurements before you buy.

2. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

Sorry for the thread crap, but somebody PM me with a red and/or yellow oxford they want to sell me in a large. Lots of prints up for sale in a large but no solid oxfords (though the red/white dish towel is tempting). :violin:

3. max-t

max-t Senior member

any cool gv pattern shirts out there in size s besides the faded black floral at sw?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011

4. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Thanks for the sizing advice guys. Based on the facts that (1) casual shirts fit a bit larger than oxfords, (2) I like my shirts reasonably trim fitting and (3) I won't need to do the collar up on the dish towel (and, if I do, I can just use a button extender) I ordered a medium blue dish-towel from Firmament berlin for about $120 AUD. Fingers crossed.

If I ever order an oxford, I am guessing I will need a large.

NB datsunfan: did you try and do the collar up on the M oxford you tried on? Im guessing it wouldnt have got anywhere near your 16.5 neck if so....

5. humeee

humeee Member

I have two toj shirts and about eight gitman vintage shirts. I like the quality of the Gitmans much, much more than the tojs. For example, I had problems with both of my tojs shrinking in strange ways along the seams (I never put them in the dryer or anything) so that the shirts would twist in odd ways unless the seam areas were all ironed straight. As another example, the collars on the toj shirts are really stiff, almost like cardboard. The collars on the gitmans are supple and have a nice roll that sets up perfectly after hang drying.

The gitman shirts are more expensive, but are, at least to me, worth the extra cash when compared to toj. The only bad thing I have to say about gitman is that the sizing from shirt to shirt is really inconsistent (e.g., my dishtowel shirt fits a full size bigger than my blackwatch tartan shirt, and they are both the same size and from the same season).

6. Psydelik

Psydelik Senior member

The quality of fabric and fit is much, much better on GBV shirts, although that's not to say ToJ shirts are bad in any way. And the sizing inconsistency is about the only flaw GBV has. Other than that, they really are the perfect shirts for guys with broad shoulders and bigger-than-ideal midsections.

7. ambivalence

ambivalence Senior member

thanks alot guys... then does anyone know what the measurement for their oxford for this season? or isit still the same as the previous oxford measurement?

8. malcolm4819

malcolm4819 Senior member

Can somebody who purchased the Green Chambray Oxford post a fit pic or get a better representation of the color.

9. datsunfan

datsunfan Senior member

I had already measured it(15.5") so I didn't even try.

10. slide13

slide13 Senior member

I've been meaning to do that....just been busy lately and haven't gotten around to it yet, sorry. Still going to be hard to show accurately as the light conditions play such a big part in how it looks.

11. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Got my dragonfly and violet floral in. Fit is slimmer than my navy overdye by just a slight bit. Both are awesome fabrics, the dragonfly is thicker and very substantial but also breathable. The dragonflies are cream on the outside and white on the inside, so when you roll up your sleeves you have two different colors. The violet floral is very light, much lighter than the dragonfly, which makes me question why it is in the F/W season, but still an awesome pattern.

12. max-t

max-t Senior member

yeah that dragonfly looks great, wouldve kopped had you not beat me to it by a few hours :foo:

13. dsoren

dsoren Senior member

Fuck, should not have slept on the olive overdyed oxford on Context and TBS...

14. tcwalter07

tcwalter07 Senior member

I slept on it too at TBS. Kicking myself for it now.

15. slide13

slide13 Senior member

love that od green and brown ripstop, probably a good thing I'm a large and not a medium.