1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Girls

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Connemara, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I can't believe someone greenlit this shit:

http://gawker.com/5980772/lena-dunham-gets-new-show-picked-up-is-slowly-taking-over-hbo

2. why

why Senior member

Nope. Kareem Abdul Jabbar was off, but you just threw an air ball.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  3. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

You always have such thoroughly reasoned rebuttals.

4. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

What a shitty episode. Predictable, boring drama the entire time.

5. Phantoom

Phantoom Well-Known Member

I love this show. I find the characters to be interesting, obnoxious, original, and unintentionally hilarious (the show is self aware though). I've never understood the amount of vitriol aimed its way, even before it aired. For some reason it's one of those shows that people can't seem to say "it's not for me" and leave alone.

6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I just love that this show doesn't overly glamorize life in New York. No entry level magazine writers living in a 5000 sq ft loft in SoHo.

7. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

last nights episode was fucking awkward to watch. it turned into sex in the city for a little while.. plus way way too much dunham nudity.

then again I'm happy like shows like this exist... because Louie is taking a year off, and larry david might be coming to an end soon.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

its amazing how the show gets worse and worse every week

9. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

I was coming down off a major Sunday bender when it was on and I felt like I was on a never ending horrible acid trip. That shit sucked balls. The wrong girls get naked on that show and Lena Dunham needs to keep her motherfucking clothes on because it's not cute, nor empowering, nor ironic. It's just fucking disgusting.

10. erictheobscure

[​IMG]

(At least if you thought it was enjoyable to begin with.)

11. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I think it actually went back into interesting territory. this was basically a concentrated form of the movie The Squid and the Whale.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Another god awful viewing experience.

13. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

maybe so but entourage was something that I "hate watched" religiously. remember the story arc where turtle ends up with meadow soprano? turtle gets a hand job from her on a full airplane within hours of meeting her eventually has to fend off a hot UCLA sorority chick to stay loyal, gets a mercedes as a birthday gift from her, and then he ends up "letting her go" so she can do a movie.

this episode a ton of nuances and essentially did what romantic dramadies do in a whole multi episode arc/movie/season in a single neat 30min episode. I can appreciate it for that.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I was talking about The Squid and the Whale.

15. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

I´m on episode 3... it´s a bit behind here. I gotta say, for a show called "Girls", they don´t really stand out that much. The guys´ characters are not as annoying and much more entertaining.

16. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

this episode would've been side splitting funny if the handsome dude role was played by will arnett.

[​IMG]

17. erictheobscure

Been reading some interesting back-and-forth & analysis about the last episode. I'm intrigued by people who appreciated it on very different grounds--that it was an exercise in translating a short story into a television serial, for example, which led to an experiment with a "bottle" episode format. Still not convinced I liked it, but I like having my own assumptions & expectations questioned.

18. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

This past episode, luckily, featured the guys and the scene in Adam's apartment is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. Between that and the encounter with the staten island girl it was definitely more enjoyable than any other episode I've seen.

19. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Lol, you're talking about season 4 or 5 or something, when it was already trash. Seasons 1 and 2 were classic.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  20. erictheobscure

Well, that last episode wasn't terrible. I guess I'll have to get used to the fact that this show is now trying to BE SOMETHING SERIOUS rather than delivering self-reflexive nihilistic glee. Or I'll just stop watching.