• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girlfriend's Work Holiday Party (Black Tie Event)

KMurphy

Reaction score
Well to my understanding this is a black-tie optional event (at the Ritz Carlton), and my girlfriend tells me that almost all of her coworkers wear suits. My question is if a dark navy suit would be acceptable, or if I should at the very least wear black? Furthermore, if a navy suit were at all acceptable at this somewhat lax standard black-tie optional event, what shirt/tie combo should I consider?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you already own a black suit, then this is the perfect occasion to wear it. As far as shirt/ tie goes, wear French cuffs and a solid tie.

KMurphy

Reaction score
I should have qualified that I don't own a black suit. Just the navy and a charcoal pinstripe. I do not completely object to getting a black suit, but I am in law school and paying enough money so if I can avoid it I will.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the navy should be acceptable, with french cuffs naturally.
the key word is optional. so dont worry.

Colpitts

Reaction score
Perfect time to buy a Tux.

Black-tie optional?

Please... Wear a tuxedo...

penguin vic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Colpitts
Perfect time to buy a Tux.

Black-tie optional?

Please... Wear a tuxedo...

He has dark navy already.

He doesn't want to spend money unnecessarily.

He's still at school.

It's his girlfriend's work holiday party.

Going out and buying a tux is not necessary I say ...

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by penguin vic
He has dark navy already.

He doesn't want to spend money unnecessarily.

He's still at school.

It's his girlfriend's work holiday party.

Going out and buying a tux is not necessary I say ...

Agreed, save your money on more important things now, then splurge when you holding down a job (out of school).

Doc4

Reaction score
Your suit should be fine, with a white French-cuff shirt. Add a white linen pocket square to the suit (if you don't have one there already). The advice about a solid tie is good.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a similar delima. Let's say that I have a black suit (I really don't but am considering buying one at a good price). Could you wear a black bow-tie with the suit (regular dress shirt, not a tux shirt)? Or is a black bow-tie strictly reserved for tuxedos and full tails? I guess I could go re-read Manton's post over on the London Lounge, but I'm feeling lazy and hope that my good friends on SF will help me.
Originally Posted by goodlife
Maybe a white silk pocket square, like one of these from Kent Wang http://www.kentwang.com/index.php?cP...6a4d379df4d414
Just picked up one this week. It's a little less formal than white linen in the TV Fold, but I like it a bit better.

goodlife

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
Just picked up one this week. It's a little less formal than white linen in the TV Fold, but I like it a bit better.
This might be true, but I think it is more appropriate for a social event after dark.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by goodlife
Maybe a white silk pocket square, like one of these from Kent Wang

I like linen since linen is what you'd wear with a DJ, so that'd be a bit of a 'formality upgrade' from silk, to bring the suit closer to the DJ in formality.

Originally Posted by Biggskip
I have a similar delima. Let's say that I have a black suit (I really don't but am considering buying one at a good price). Could you wear a black bow-tie with the suit (regular dress shirt, not a tux shirt)? Or is a black bow-tie strictly reserved for tuxedos and full tails?

A look like that will mark you as "fourth horseman".
rimshot.gif

Assuming the black suit, I'd go with a 'regular' tie and leave the bowtie stuff alone.

(Or why not get a Tuxedo, and start stylin' and profilin' ... )

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can wear a black suit and a bow tie, but not black. Wear something playful in yellow, red, or maybe something in color similar to what your girlfriend plans to wear.

goodlife

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
I like linen since linen is what you'd wear with a DJ, so that'd be a bit of a 'formality upgrade' from silk, to bring the suit closer to the DJ in formality.

I know how you got from point a to point b, but I feel like linen has a workday feel, especially with a tv fold. This is an area where I would like to bend the rules. If not silk, maybe a fluff and stuff with white linen. Either way white is the best way to go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads