• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girlfriend and a Dior suit

Snebbu

Reaction score
So recently my girlfriend said she wanted to buy me a suit by Dior, because she thinks it'll look great on me since I am a tall skinny guy. Naturally I declined, for with the both of us still being students, a suit by Dior is quite an expensive gift to give. She still insisted however, telling me that she's been saving up for it these past few months because she knows how much I like suits.
Now any normal guy would probably be ecstatic about this, but having been an avid reader/lurker (not poster) of Styleforum for some time now, I can't help but hear a little voice in my head telling me that I can probably get much better quality for the same money. I know I am probably a horrible person for thinking so, since it is a gift that she wants to give me, and I love her for that, but I can't help it.
So first of all I was wondering if anybody here could comment on the quality and general style of Dior suits, for I have tried the search function but after some browsing I couldn't really find anything of use to me (might be my disability to search though). If contrary to my assumptions you tell me that a suit by Dior is still good value for its money, then I will of course be more than happy to accept the gift and wear it with pride.
If, however, this were not the case, then I'm not really sure as to what I should do. Since she is rather enthusiastic about clothes and fashion as well, I'm afraid if I tell her a suit by Dior doesn't really meet the characteristics of what I look for in a suit, it will be like insulting her knowledge on the matter. Should I in this case accept the gift anyways too, or try to subtly recommend another brand? (I know this last question probably leaves the realm of MC, but oh well)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
- Ubbens

nelly

Reaction score
This isn't really a suit/clothes question as much as it is a lesson on relationships.

The key to a successful relationship: Communication.

Snebbu

Reaction score
True, but since my primary purpose of this thread was to find out about the quality of Dior suits, I thought that I'd post it here instead, my apologies if I didn't make that obvious in my first post.

-Ubbens

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You would be better to try something better but as has already been said, this is more to do with your relationship than clothes.

If you think she can be deflected from this make then try it, if not you may be lumbered with the thing. How much does she want to spend?

nelly

Reaction score
Let me follow up on what I said. You should talk to her about it because if you don't, I see the following happening:
1) She buys you the suit
2) You question the quality every time you look at it in the closet
3) You stop wearing it once you buy the suit you actually want

Also, if you have a conversation with her about it, maybe you'll discover something. Perhaps she has a really good reason for choosing Dior that you haven't considered.

nelly

Reaction score
According to this thread:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...tive+slim+suit

Dior Homme suits are fully canvassed and decent quality so I would think that it's an issue of styling and price. I can't help but think that you could get a Paul Smith Byard suit for half (on resale), take the rest of the money to buy her a dress, and go out to a nice dinner.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is what you do.....tell her to put the $$ towards a vacation for the both of you and take a long weekend and go someplace romantic. Tell her that you would rather spend time with her that have her buy a suit for you!

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
This is what you do.....tell her to put the $$ towards a vacation for the both of you and take a long weekend and go someplace romantic. Tell her that you would rather spend time with her that have her buy a suit for you!
+1 Or suggest that you buy her an Ed Hardy handbag in return. Actually, scratch that. Girls have weird tastes in overpriced brands.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ubbens
So recently my girlfriend said she wanted to buy me a suit by Dior, because she thinks it'll look great on me since I am a tall skinny guy. Naturally I declined, for with the both of us still being students, a suit by Dior is quite an expensive gift to give. She still insisted however, telling me that she's been saving up for it these past few months because she knows how much I like suits. Now any normal guy would probably be ecstatic about this, but having been an avid reader/lurker (not poster) of Styleforum for some time now, I can't help but hear a little voice in my head telling me that I can probably get much better quality for the same money. I know I am probably a horrible person for thinking so, since it is a gift that she wants to give me, and I love her for that, but I can't help it. So first of all I was wondering if anybody here could comment on the quality and general style of Dior suits, for I have tried the search function but after some browsing I couldn't really find anything of use to me (might be my disability to search though). If contrary to my assumptions you tell me that a suit by Dior is still good value for its money, then I will of course be more than happy to accept the gift and wear it with pride. If, however, this were not the case, then I'm not really sure as to what I should do. Since she is rather enthusiastic about clothes and fashion as well, I'm afraid if I tell her a suit by Dior doesn't really meet the characteristics of what I look for in a suit, it will be like insulting her knowledge on the matter. Should I in this case accept the gift anyways too, or try to subtly recommend another brand? (I know this last question probably leaves the realm of MC, but oh well) Any advice would be greatly appreciated! - Ubbens
Here's what I gather from what you wrote: - you like suits - your girlfriend likes fashion - your girlfriend wants to buy you a suit - your gilfriend has been saving up to buy you said suit and presumably has enough money at this point if she's telling you about it Here's what I can add: - Dior suits are very good quality - Dior suits are made precisely with the tall, skinny guy in mind - as a result of the previous points, this doesn't make much sense: "I'm afraid if I tell her a suit by Dior doesn't really meet the characteristics of what I look for in a suit, it will be like insulting her knowledge on the matter." (One shouldn't look down one's nose at Dior suits unless one's closet is full of Kiton and Brioni, and you said you're a student...) So if she wants to buy you the suit, has the money for it, and it's going to look good on you, what's the problem? It sounds like it would be a gift you would genuinely appreciate, and it's obviously coming from a place of sincere generosity. If she's talking about waltzing into Saks and picking it up at full retail, you could suggest that you wait until a sale, or until you can find the same thing online for less. (But many women really like the "shopping experience" and if it's her gift to you, the least you could do would be to [pretend to] have a good time.) Unless the money is a critical thing (and I say this as someone who managed to spend thousands of dollars on clothes while paying my own way through undergrad -- it's all just priorities and willpower unless you're borderline destitute), just let her buy it. Neither of you will likely regret it, particularly as she seems to have set the whole thing in motion.

Snebbu

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Nelly, was just the thing I was looking for! But I do agree with everything else you said too, I will have to discuss that with her.

Ter1413: Slightly off-topic, but we already recently planned a holiday to Hainan which is my gift to her
thumbs-up.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And I thought this was going to be a "which one would you leave behind if your house was on fire" thread.

Snebbu

Reaction score
Goldentribe, thanks for the elaborate reply! As a matter of fact I enjoy the shopping experience too from time to time, so that'll be no problem. Well, I guess that answers my question about the quality of Dior suits though, and whether they will fit me, so cheers for that! I do have some stuff from Kiton, but that indeed doesn't mean that I look down on Dior, I was just wondering about the quality of it since I have never really looked into that till now.
And I thought this was going to be a "which one would you leave behind if your house was on fire" thread.
laugh.gif

DandySF

Reaction score
The Dior suits I've looked at have been beautifully made. Dior is an example of something that is both fashionable and well-made.

nelly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ubbens
Thanks for the link Nelly, was just the thing I was looking for! But I do agree with everything else you said too, I will have to discuss that with her.

Ter1413: Slightly off-topic, but we already recently planned a holiday to Hainan which is my gift to her
thumbs-up.gif

WAIT JUST ONE SECOND. Why wouldn't you just have a custom suit made in Southeast Asia?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have guessed that Dior were well-made, but now I know apparently. I've never came across one though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics