1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Girlfriend and a Dior suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ubbens, May 16, 2011.

1. Ubbens

Ubbens Active Member

Woah, didn't expect this thread to receive so much replies!

But yeah Acecow, you are right. As I said in my original post, I knew already that it was horrible for me to even doubt whether I should accept the gift or not. With that said however, I just wanted to know what the quality of a suit by Dior is, 'cause as much as I appreciate her wanting to give it to me (and don't get me wrong, I'm going to accept the suit and wear it every time I have the excuse of wearing a suit), I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable if she were to spend 2500$ on a suit that I might not end up liking, since neither of us have that much money to begin with. I just came here for some general information on the brand and the suits that they make, and I got that information!

and RSS, we might be going to the Dior store (or whatever store sells Dior) together, but I'd still like to have something to say about which suit to pick when we are there. In the end though, it's still her gift!

Meneer Axel: I think she's okay with more conservative suits, I once showed her a couple of pics of Tom Ford suits which I really liked (though I guess they're not completely conservative either, but that's the style I like), and she was very enthusiastic about those. We'll just have to see what we come across when we go to the store!

2. Patek

Patek Senior member

Surely there is a tactful way to let her know that a Dior suit is NOT your thing. If you don't tell her now, when are you going to tell her? It's only going to get worse. Establish NOW that you prefer to select your own clothing.

All too many woman just assume that they'll be dressing their boyfriends and husbands.

I agree, this is a step down a slippery slope. Maybe she doesn't think you are a good dresser. My girlfriend would not even think of buying me shoes, clothes, or a watch without my approval or knowing that it was something that I wanted--she knows that I am 10X pickier than she is.

3. acecow

acecow Senior member

I agree, this is a step down a slippery slope. Maybe she doesn't think you are a good dresser. My girlfriend would not even think of buying me shoes, clothes, or a watch without my approval or knowing that it was something that I wanted--she knows that I am 10X pickier than she is.

My ex-girlfriend once bought me a t-shirt in the beginning of the relationship. It was hanging in the back of the closet with the tags on waiting to be returned as soon as we break up (which was inevitable, but not because of the t-shirt). I still appreciated it a lot, she had no way of knowing that I wouldn't wear anything less than a polo shirt outside the house. And there's no such thing for me as a nice t-shirt. I hope that nothing like that would happen to your Dior suit or gf.

On a side note, I'd try to do everything to get her to drop the idea. Not because I wouldn't like the suit or wouldn't appreciate the gesture. I just think such a present would put too much pressure on me to, you know, do the right thing and marry her.

4. jrk264

jrk264 Member

Is there some reason you don't want her to know that you have some strong preferences regarding the suits you wear? It doesn't seem like a conversation that has to be an attack on her taste, especially if you frame it more that you're unusually picky about suits rather than saying you're worried about her buying the "wrong" suit ("I always like my suits to have [x, y, and z]... I don't know anything about Dior, so I don't know if they'll work for me, but we can go check them out and see if they're a good match..." kind of thing).

I also agree with the growing consensus that you ought to swing by an engagement ring store while you're out looking at suits...

5. RSS

RSS Senior member

I'd still like to have something to say about which suit to pick when we are there. In the end though, it's still her gift!
    You'll be fine. And if you and she agree, it's a match made in Heaven! Well ... at least from a sartorial point of view.

6. Spong

Spong Well-Known Member

We've already established Dior is more than acceptable in terms of quality, all you need to do is (as you've already said) go along shopping with her, enjoy it AND help her pick a Dior suit you want. We're clearly past the point of you rejecting the gift but there's no reason you can't get what you're after in terms of style and show her what sort of thing you like. Show her what suits in the stores you like and why, explain why you like certain lapel styles or pockets or whatever, she will likely be enthusiastic about you sharing this information and in meeting these standards - she will probably become as perfectionist about your clothing standards as you are and it means if this sort of thing happens more in the future you'll have much less to worry about.

7. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

I find it a little strange that she was so specific about the brand. She didn't say she wanted to buy you a slim suit or a navy suit with high peak lapels, she said a Dior suit. Did she see a photo of some dude wearing a Dior suit and she thought he looked hot? I guess she never would if that was the case.

8. Chrenetique

Chrenetique Senior member

Dior is fine, accept the gift & kiss the girl on the cheek.

9. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Don't be put off by SF conservatism. Dior suits are VERY high quality, beautifully made, and importantly, will complement your figure perfectly. They're my favorite suits, and they will look cooler than your tailor's efforts, trust me.

They're expensive but not terribly so. I think they run $2400 now.

$2400 for a suit is a gift from the heart.

If my girlfriend bought me a Dior suit I would marry her.

I wouldn't go that far.

Dior is fine, accept the gift & kiss the girl on the cheek.

A kiss on the lips would be better and then get more.....

10. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Birthday? Go for a nice meal, and then after dinner, slip into your birthday suit. That sounds like a normal present.

As for Dior, good suits. $2.4K is not such a bad price, they are a good step up from likes of Gucci at the same price point. Anyway, bit excessive gift for a birthday I would have thought - is it your 21st? 30th? 40th?

11. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Dior's a designer, not a manufacturer. Most high end designers use decent manufacturers, but you're paying a premium on the design. It's probably a good quality suit, but you could get better by using the money otherwise. A lot of people here look down on designers since they make the decisions for you and we generally want something more to personal taste (or at least the igent hivemind's taste).

If you have any control in the process though, try to steer her away from super fashion forward suits (like they thing with the accordion lapel posted before). I'm sure Dior makes some nice suits in more sane cuts.

EDIT:
    at $2500 you better put out better than that.

12. Lel

Lel Senior member

Don't be put off by SF conservatism. Dior suits are VERY high quality, beautifully made, and importantly, will complement your figure perfectly. They're my favorite suits, and they will look cooler than your tailor's efforts, trust me.

They're expensive but not terribly so. I think they run $2400 now.

+1

Seriously man, stop spending so much time on MC.

13. apropos

apropos Senior member

WAIT JUST ONE SECOND. Why wouldn't you just have a custom suit made in Southeast Asia?
    Is this a serious question?

14. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

I can't believe this thread even exists. This is a bit like posting a thread about how your hawt girlfriend wants to have a threesome with you and her twin sister, and you're worried because it's incest.

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I can't believe this thread even exists. This is a bit like posting a thread about how your hawt girlfriend wants to have a threesome with you and her twin sister, and you're worried because it's incest.

What happened to Don Carlos?????

16. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

What happened to Don Carlos?????

Don Carlos has been shed, like a molted snakeskin. It was a transitional identity in between AB and AB.

My return to AB signifies a general return to silliness and shenanigans that will delight the consumer.

17. RSS

RSS Senior member

Don Carlos has been shed, like a molted snakeskin. It was a transitional identity in between AB and AB.

My return to AB signifies a general return to silliness and shenanigans that will delight the consumer.

I never understood Don Carlos. Welcome back AB!

18. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I had a Dior suit back in the height of the Slimane craze. It was very well constructed for a RTW designer brand. It had horn buttons, full canvas, very soft fabric that was really surprisingly durable. The thing that seemed odd for the waif-like silhouette was the shoulder pads were quite thick and the canvas was very heavy weight for the fabric. It gave it a nice shape and such, but my style has changed quite a bit since then.

If you accept this it won't be like some designers that make rayon suits with no structure whatsoever for $2k.

19. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

[​IMG]

20. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Dior is nice quality but it doesn't fit everyone. I know you said you're tall and skinny, so that's promising...but still, try it in and see if the way they look in you is the way you imagined it. Personally, my upper body is too big to fit in a Dior suit but the real showstopper is the center vent.