1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Girlfriend and a Dior suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ubbens, May 16, 2011.

1. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

To me it is a question of what is more important to you the girlfriend or the suit.

If it is the girlfriend let her buy you the suit she has been saving for because in her mind it is a perfect gift for you.

-1. Unless the OP likes the suit, it will be a waste of $$ and not get worn. Don't let women buy clothing unless it's what you want....

2. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

-1. Unless the OP likes the suit, it will be a waste of $$ and not get worn. Don't let women buy clothing unless it's what you want....

+1. I remember shopping with my dad when I was younger, watching women lead their disinterested husbands around and hearing him say "It's a sorry son of a bitch that lets his wife choose his clothes for him."

3. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

dior suits are fantastic and will give you a more fitted look than kiton, brioni etc. i have about 5 and i love the feel,construction and look. The only issue is lots of the newer dior suits made by kris van asche not hedi slimane are sometimes too fashion forward and weird for my tastes. My opinion is to get the suit, it might last longer than your significant other. [​IMG]

4. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Just searched some Dior suits... wtf is this:

[​IMG]

5. mlongano

mlongano Senior member

You'll have to communicate your likes and dislikes to her sooner or later, lest you someday end up with 40 or 50 Dior suits in your closet...some women like to establish an annual "tradition", and you could be misleading her into thinking that a Dior suit is the perfect traditional gift from her.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

It is so you can extend your lapel to wipe your mouth during dinner.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

PatrickBOOTH: I guess I should just enjoy it while it lasts then [​IMG]

No, what I mean is that she now knows better than to buy me a Kenneth Cole scarf.

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

People often bundle Dior with the crappy Italian mega-labels like D&G and Prada. Dior not only has (to my eye) much more interesting and elegant styling, but is also of a quality leagues apart from other fashion houses. The prices are very high, but Dior certainly shouldn't be a label you're embarrassed to wear.

Higher end Prada has some really well made suits and Dolce has a fully canvassed line. Most SFers severely discount designer wear cause they just don't know much about what is available and go with groupthink.

9. intent

intent Senior member

Higher end Prada has some really well made suits and Dolce has a fully canvassed line. Most SFers severely discount designer wear cause they just don't know much about what is available and go with groupthink.
    SF is the anti-prom.

10. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

+1

YSL and Mcqueen off the rack can be really, really good. Jil Sanders good too.

11. RSS

RSS Senior member

Leave Dior to the women.

Men go to tailors ... and they need your business.

12. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Don't be put off by SF conservatism. Dior suits are VERY high quality, beautifully made, and importantly, will complement your figure perfectly. They're my favorite suits, and they will look cooler than your tailor's efforts, trust me.

They're expensive but not terribly so. I think they run $2400 now.

13. NowhereOutThere

NowhereOutThere Senior member

If my girlfriend bought me a Dior suit I would marry her.

14. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

This is what you do.....tell her to put the $$ towards a vacation for the both of you and take a long weekend and go someplace romantic. Tell her that you would rather spend time with her that have her buy a suit for you!

he can get teh secks anytime from her. id take a suit. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. GBR

GBR Senior member

Just searched some Dior suits... wtf is this:

[​IMG]

Heaven only knows. I have never seen such a thing/abomination before.

16. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Dude, just tell her you'd prefer a different brand, whats the big deal?

17. acecow

acecow Senior member

OP, you're crazy. She wants to buy you an awesome, albeit overpriced, suit. Whatever, it's not SF-approved, but it's a GIFT from your GIRLFRIEND. It's not like she's giving you an old t-shirt that you'd be ashamed of wearing. How dare you even think of not accepting it?

18. RSS

RSS Senior member

Since she is rather enthusiastic about clothes and fashion as well, I'm afraid if I tell her a suit by Dior doesn't really meet the characteristics of what I look for in a suit, it will be like insulting her knowledge on the matter.
    Surely there is a tactful way to let her know that a Dior suit is NOT your thing. If you don't tell her now, when are you going to tell her? It's only going to get worse. Establish NOW that you prefer to select your own clothing.

All too many woman just assume that they'll be dressing their boyfriends and husbands.

19. landshark

landshark Senior member

If my woman bought me a suit, I would wear it for her all the time.

20. Axel Ferguson

Axel Ferguson Senior member

Surely there is a tactful way to let her know that a Dior suit is NOT your thing. If you don't tell her now, when are you going to tell her? It's only going to get worse. Establish NOW that you prefer to select your own clothing. All too many woman just assume that they'll be dressing their boyfriends and husbands.
    She is not dressing him though. She wants to buy him a gift, and since he likes clothing/suits, she's buying him a suit. She probably takes the Dior brand to mean good suits and in her eye nice looking suits, so that's what she is suggesting. If he doesn't like the way they looks/fit, fair enough, I'm sure he can tell her that. But if he is merely concerned about the price/quality ratio, he can mention it, but it is still a gift and she may still want to spend the money. Or RSS is right, and she just wants you out of your more conservative suits and into something more fashionable. Have fun figuring that one out meneer Ubbens. :p Edit: Do make sure you like it, you can't just take a $2000+ suit, and hang it in the back of the closet and just take it out for her birthday or something. Well, you could, but tact and all that.