Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Movie)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by furo, Dec 22, 2011.

1. furo

furo Senior member

Just got back from seeing this. Overall a good film in my opinion, although at 2hrs 40 min, they could have trimmed it up a bit.

I was stunned to learn that the main character (Rooney Mara) was the BU girlfriend in the opening scene of Social Network....

Apparently she pierced her nips IRL for this role and left them like that for the trilogy.... man that's :slayer:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

2. sexandcandy

sexandcandy Senior member

didn't read the book, but i enjoyed the movie. decent flick, nothing mindblowing other than the fact i was really attracted to rooney mara despite the goth look.

rape scenes were a little hard to watch though

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

3. gort

gort Senior member

Apparently they even bleached her pubic hair to match the books? :embar:

I'm trying to see it soon.

4. otc

otc Senior member

I'm excited to see it...enjoyed the books.

The swedish versions of the films were really good so it will be interesting to see what happens. I like David Fincher but often these american remakes of scandinavian stuff end up either sucking ass (AMC's The Killing) or being nowhere near as good as the original (Let Me In)

5. sexandcandy

perhaps they were very blonde but i saw no pubes to speak of. there was some mild full frontal

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Can anybody who's read the books and/or seen the Sweedish original compare this remake to them please?

7. EdJagger

EdJagger Member

Read the book and have seen the Swedish movie. Finchers version is very similar to the Swedish version both in terms of story line and choices of environment. I think the movie was good but lacked a bit of "Fincher twist" in my opinion. A bit predictable and a bit too smooth, was for example expecting the music in the movie to interact more like Trent Reznors tracks in the Social Network did. Overall a good interpretation by Fincher, but I was a bit disappointed since I expected more divergence from the Swedish version.

8. bassmanpatsfan18

bassmanpatsfan18 Senior member

I've read all 3 of the books and seen all 3 of the Swedish films and I saw this on opening day. I thought it was great. Rooney was fantastic, Craig was sold and the cinematography and music were quite exceptional. I'm a pretty big Swedophile and a general fan of Swedish cinema, yet I greatly preferred this version to the Swedish original.

9. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Loved the Swedish versions. It was refreshing to see something that wasn't "Hollywood". Mrs Pocketsquare and I are looking forward to seeing the new trilogy. Not sure if the new female lead can stand up to the original one. It will be difficult.

10. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Watched the Swedish versions. Don't see the point in seeing the American one

11. sexandcandy

Rooney Mara naked.

12. larryr

larryr Senior member

She's also the daughter of the owner of the New York Giants.

13. sexandcandy

^and great grand daughter of the steelers founder

14. boogaboogabooga

boogaboogabooga Senior member

Depictions or rape are generally easy to watch for you?

I haven't read the book, but from what I understand both are supposed to be relatively faithful. But, if that's the case, I'd say the book is a pretty unexceptional piece of techno-pulp. People are really taken away with this Harold and Maude-ed techno thriller/mystery. I really don't see it. I thought it was as contrived as an episode of CSI and shows of that ilk, especially the villainy.

I might watch it just to see how Fincher interpreted the material, though.

David Fincher is the point. Not a lot of people know who Niels Arden Oplev is, and from what I've seen, I'd say for good reason.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Also, what no one is mentioning is that this is plausibly being made for relatively cynical reasons. Maybe not purely, Fincher never seems lazy to me and is either a sharp interpreter (or knows how to pick good ones) and except for Alien 3, The Game, and Benjamin Button, a amazing director, but come on. It's an enormous best seller in I don't even know how many languages and Fincher's oeuvre suggests someone who is a money making studio movie/ambitious studio movie switch hitter. This is one of his money making studio movies.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011

15. sexandcandy

no. and my comment still stands, they were hard to watch.