• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gingham Shirt with Striped Tie

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No. Calls for solid tie almost 99.9% of the time.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
personally, i prefer a polka dot tie with gingham. Just me though.

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
Damn it. I hate solid ties. I have a couple knit ties, I guess I could wear one of those, but I feel like they are uber casual.

I appreciate the response.

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
Well, it is for an evening event, so I don't want to be too casual. At the same time, I really want to wear some of my new gingham shirts.

Is a classic silk knit tie too casual?

Here is the tie that I have:

Ben Silver Tie

If I wear a Navy Tie with a Navy Gingham Shirt and a Navy suit, is it odd? I know it isn't exciting, but I feel it might be a little less casual.

Am I an idiot?

Merlino

Reaction score
I agree with DerekS. Polka dots or some other pattern such as this one. And make sure the pattern on the tie is of different size, preferably larger than the gingham pattern.

Sylvr

Reaction score
can be too many patterns. gingham in itself is fairly casual imo, so i think it goes great with a knit tie. if you are going for a patterned shirt and tie, you need a solid suit or at least a jacket to pull it together imo.

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
Yes, I would be wearing a solid navy suit.

I have a few ties I could wear based on the posts above: two polka dot ties (that would match) as well as a paisley, but now I am wondering about this silk knit.

Something about the Navy/Navy/Navy appeals to me, but I am not qualified to dress myself, so I am in desperate need your honest opinions.

Navy Gingham (smaller gingham), Navy Silk Knit Tie (pictured above) and Navy Suit?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do polka also sometimes. The shirt in the first post is VERY casual. I would not even wear a tie with that...

Sylvr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
I do polka also sometimes. The shirt in the first post is VERY casual. I would not even wear a tie with that...

true, but if he had to wear a tie then he would need a coat over it, otherwise tie without coat is just blah.

as for navy x navy x navy, not a bad look at all since your shirt isnt a solid. if all three parts were solid, it would look extremely boring. burgundy shoes would pull it together.

DStew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
No. Calls for solid tie almost 99.9% of the time.

+1.

I always go solid or solid knit with gingham but thats just me.

I wouldnt work the button down collar and tie either way.

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
Okay, so my shirt is more of a dress shirt (but it does have a button down collar), so with that knowledge I am fine wearing all three pieces in Navy Blue!

Hopefully I don't look like a huge douche. Sometimes I wish I could hire some of you to just hang out in my house and tell me what is right and what is wrong.

I try so hard, I promise.

Out of curiosity, is a silk knit tie (you know, with the square bottom, etc) a more casual tie? I that just something I have projected on it?

You guys are the best, thanks for the input.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads