• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gingham shirt against chalk stripe suit

mikec

Reaction score
Pretty new at this. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. Let me know if that's the case.

Could you gentlemen tell me if the gingham is too busy with the chalk stripe? Should I be going with a solid shirt instead?

Thanks for the help.

gingham.png

Flanderian

Reaction score
Sorry, doesn't work for me. If the stripes were spaced a little futher apart and and the check smaller it would be better. I'd also look for more tonal difference between the shirt and suit. I.e., a paler check significantly ligher than the suit's cloth. A pale pink check of small scale could look very nice.

squints

Reaction score
hey mikec, i've been looking for a shirt just like that. Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking

thanks!

sartorial_marxist

Reaction score
if the scale of the gingham was much smaller, it'll be perfect. vox posted not too long ago a perfect example

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As noted above, I'd choose a gingham check with a slightly smaller pattern.

However, yes, I think that gingham is an absolutely classic choice with chalkstripes and I wear them together a lot.

BBC

Reaction score
Don't like it - it's a mullet. The shirt says summer and the flannel chalk stripe says winter.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorial_marxist
if the scale of the gingham was much smaller, it'll be perfect. vox posted not too long ago a perfect example

+10000

The gingham must be smaller...

Big pattern look too casual..

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikec
Pretty new at this. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. Let me know if that's the case.

Could you gentlemen tell me if the gingham is too busy with the chalk stripe? Should I be going with a solid shirt instead?

Thanks for the help.

gingham.png

Actually my next flannel is gonna be same as yours, Who´s the maker?

Get another shirt man, too summer one.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
Perfect example in WAYWRN today:

img_2217.jpg

Are 3 piece suits better in flannel than worsted?

Love that one.

ktrp

Reaction score
I think its not bad, but as others have noted, the 'problem' is that the scale of the pattern on the shirt is too close to the scale of the pattern on the suit. So it would be better if one of the patterns was bigger or smaller.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's classic.

Who the **** is going to measure the check/stripe size ratio anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads