• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gingerbread House

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Any of you SF'ers ever made one?

My girlfriend mentioned this weekend that she'd always wanted to make one but never had and didn't know how. Since money is incredibly tight, I thought this would be a fun little alternative to normal holiday stuff. It should be fun to be in the kitchen and just making stuff together. I know a good gingerbread recipe.

Anyone have any protips or experience with this?

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I always have wanted to make one as well but have never done it. However, after seeing photos of some pretty amazing ones over the years, I'm afraid I would be disappointed with the results of my own efforts.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Yes.
Yes I have!

Well feel free to share your sage wisdom, young man!
Originally Posted by spertia
Honestly, I always have wanted to make one as well but have never done it. However, after seeing photos of some pretty amazing ones over the years, I'm afraid I would be disappointed with the results of my own efforts.

This is how I feel as well, but what the hell. Might as well give it a try and have fun w/ the gf.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be fun, never tried it myself (current living situation doesnt lent itself for it=no partner).. Did see one once in a hotel in Cancun, i wonder how long one has to eat it as it was LARGE( about 6 feet high)

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm wearing a fragrance from Guerlain today that has a pronounced gingerbread note. Does that count???

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I'm wearing a fragrance from Guerlain today that has a pronounced gingerbread note. Does that count???

for you, I guess it does
smile.gif

emptym

Reaction score
I made one last year w/ my nephew, also from a kit. Fun. Are you hoping to make one from scratch?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Well feel free to share your sage wisdom, young man!
Might as well give it a try and have fun w/ the gf.

The important thing to remember Kyle, is that the gingerbread doesn't have anything to do with the process.

What's vitally important is just how little clothing Lish is wearing under her apron.
tounge.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
The cake decorating company Wilton makes a kit that is pretty easy to put together. Then you can get all creative decorating with candy and what-not.

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Welcome-I...gerbread-House

Very interesting. I'll look into that, thanks!
Originally Posted by emptym
I made one last year w/ my nephew, also from a kit. Fun. Are you hoping to make one from scratch?
I had planned to originally. Kind of make a whole day out of it. Spend the morning making the bread, take a break, spend the evening decorating and assembling the house. Thought it'd be fun.
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
The important thing to remember Kyle, is that the gingerbread doesn't have anything to do with the process.

What's vitally important is just how little clothing Lish is wearing under her apron.
tounge.gif

True, but that's an everyday thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics