• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ginger Candy

emptym

Reaction score
Since I'm new here, please forgive me if this belonged in another section, but of all the titles I thought they fit "Fine Living" best.

I'm talking about the chewy ginger candy from Chinatown or Asian markets.
Anyone tried it? I love the stuff.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm addicted:
aDSC00651.jpg

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Best candy ever.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
I'm addicted:

aDSC00651.jpg

I am as well!! I get a few packs from a local Asian grocer. I eat these during my painting classes. The students are strictly devided on these, either love them or hate them. Ever try Ginger Altaoids?
(I was also a great fan of the Licorice altoid!!)
LS, you should try some really strong Ginger Ale called Blenheim, that's the stuff I'm addicted to. Some intense ginger pepper combo that burns on the way down. Good stuff!

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do they still even make Ginger Altoids? The only store I found them was at Target and they no longer carry them.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
love it

emptym

Reaction score
That's exactly the stuff I'm talking about, Lucky Strike. Thanks for the picture!

I also love the "sesame cake" candy.

What else do you guys love from Asian markets?

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Ever try Ginger Altaoids?
(I was also a great fan of the Licorice altoid!!)

Have tried the Ginger, but not the licorice. It's making my mouth water though...

Yaz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
That's exactly the stuff I'm talking about, Lucky Strike. Thanks for the picture!

I also love the "sesame cake" candy.

What else do you guys love from Asian markets?

Hmmm...I have not tried this ginger candy. Guess its time for a trip to Ranch 99 tomorrow.

I used to love rice candy as a kid. Could not get enough of that stuff

winghopfung_1968_8340014

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reeds from Jamaica make a crystallized ginger root candy that's nearly as good as their Ginger Beer.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
Reeds from Jamaica make a crystallized ginger root candy that's nearly as good as their Ginger Beer.
The Reed's gets the edge because they use a light dusting of some kind of edible powder to keep the inner wax paper wrap from sticking to the candy. Whenever I get the asian store variety, I have to spend too much time extracting bits of wax paper from the candy. Any fans of ginger hard candy? What about crystallized ginger root? That's hardcore.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like crystalized ginger a lot, but not so much the chews. As a bonus, it works well to alleviate nausea.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
The Reed's gets the edge because they use a light dusting of some kind of edible powder to keep the inner wax paper wrap from sticking to the candy. Whenever I get the asian store variety, I have to spend too much time extracting bits of wax paper from the candy.

Any fans of ginger hard candy? What about crystallized ginger root? That's hardcore.

The ginger candy LuckyStrike depicted usually has an edible inner wrapper. I think it's made of rice.

Is the crystalized stuff stronger than raw ginger?

most_def

Reaction score
No, I'm not a fan of ginger candy. The taste does not agree with me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads