• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gilt's current Testoni sale

Captain Winky

Reaction score
So I was looking at some of the Testonis on Gilt, and really like the styling. However I noticed two things:

1. Some say "Country of origin: Italy" and others just say "Imported." Does this mean that the "Imported" ones are outsourced to some sweat shop in a desert or jungle somewhere?

2. I can't tell, even from the close-ups if the leather is just very soft or of low quality, based on some wrinkling on the pictured shoes.

So are these worth $200-250? Retail price is listed at $5-600. Also, if I'm a Ferragamo 9, would I buy the same in these? They say the shoes are US sizes and "run true to size," whatever that means (I have a lot of shoes that "run true to size" and are all different sizes).

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
So I was looking at some of the Testonis on Gilt, and really like the styling. However I noticed two things:

1. Some say "Country of origin: Italy" and others just say "Imported." Does this mean that the "Imported" ones are outsourced to some sweat shop in a desert or jungle somewhere?

2. I can't tell, even from the close-ups if the leather is just very soft or of low quality, based on some wrinkling on the pictured shoes.

So are these worth $200-250? Retail price is listed at $5-600. Also, if I'm a Ferragamo 9, would I buy the same in these? They say the shoes are US sizes and "run true to size," whatever that means (I have a lot of shoes that "run true to size" and are all different sizes).

1. Yes, it means it's imported from China, or some low-quality manufacturing country
2. To most people, they would be considered high quality. For people on SF, they would be considered low quality leather. They're like Bruno Magli.

No, I don't think they're worth it. The reason is because you can get better shoes for that money, if you're willing to hunt. The Buying and Selling forum has really great shoes all the time for under $200. If you're willing to pay up to $250, you can get some amazing, amazing shoes that will blow Testoni out of the waters.

Testoni runs a tad be narrower and longer at the toe box, but you should be around a 9 if you're a 9 in Ferragamo.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, if you don't pull the trigger now, you won't have missed out anything. Testoni shoes up on Gilt about once every three or four weeks, and at the same discounts. You can just buy them then if you change your mind.

I recommend passing though, unless you absolutely don't want to do any hunting for better deals.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
In general, I prefer not to buy items from individual sellers, just makes things like exchanges/returns too difficult, and I don't have the time/energy/patience to resell. Point taken about the quality, though, probably going to skip $250 made-in-China boots.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In general, I prefer not to buy items from individual sellers, just makes things like exchanges/returns too difficult, and I don't have the time/energy/patience to resell. Point taken about the quality, though, probably going to skip $250 made-in-China boots.

if you are worried about returns, stay away from gilt.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
if you are worried about returns, stay away from gilt.

These aren't final sale items, and I don't mind having Gilt credits. In fact, the one time I had misread a description of a final sale item and wrote them they accepted the return anyways. I know some here have issues with the site and its policies, but I'll continue using them till my personal experience gives me a reason not to.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Testoni=Bally=To Boot New York=Magli....middle of the road quality shoes to buy new @ $100-150 max. Either of these will last you a few seasons with proper care

alphaO888

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhurit
Testoni=Bally=To Boot New York=Magli....middle of the road quality shoes to buy new @ $100-150 max. Either of these will last you a few seasons with proper care

I will have to disagree with the above statement because top of the line Testoni is MUCH better than the above mentioned brands.

All of the ones that are currently on Gilt are all from A. Testoni Basic line which equals crap.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alphaO888
I will have to disagree with the above statement because top of the line Testoni is MUCH better than the above mentioned brands.

All of the ones that are currently on Gilt are all from A. Testoni Basic line which equals crap.

+1

high-end testonis are, in fact, what the brand is really known for, and they are superb.

the recent rubbish on gilt is probably a low-cost move to navigate the recession with a diffusion line. i wouldn't buy it at any price.

companies that do this really run the risk of messing with their brand.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alphaO888

Diasagree: Both Bally and Magli also happen to have highline models comparable to highline Testoni. To rephrase it, base Testoni=base Bally=base Magli=To Boot NY

Made in California

Reaction score
These aren't final sale items, and I don't mind having Gilt credits. In fact, the one time I had misread a description of a final sale item and wrote them they accepted the return anyways. I know some here have issues with the site and its policies, but I'll continue using them till my personal experience gives me a reason not to.
OK how about this is as a reason not to: Normally Gilt does a good job at labeling which lines are which. For example they'll divide a CR sale into two categories Creative Recreation and Creative Recreation Collection or something like that. Or separating CK into CK, CK Collection, CK White Label, etc. So you would think that with A. Testoni they would label it nicely to let you know you were buying Amadeus, mainline, or Basic. This has been explained on another thread in this site but it bothers me enough that I don't mind reiterating it here.. An internet search for A. Testoni Basic comes up with next to nothing, which leads one to believe that the Basic line is being manufactured exclusively for Gilt without them informing consumers. The *only* tip-off you get to what line you are buying from (aside from when you get your shoes and look at the label) is that it says "Imported" instead of "Italy". So they're not really being discounted from $500 to $200. They're cheap shoes that you're buying at MSRP that are passing as A. Testoni mainline and Gilt puts them on sale every 2-3 weeks because their profit margins must be huge. It's bordering on ethical business practice.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
OK how about this is as a reason not to:

Normally Gilt does a good job at labeling which lines are which. For example they'll divide a CR sale into two categories Creative Recreation and Creative Recreation Collection or something like that. Or separating CK into CK, CK Collection, CK White Label, etc. So you would think that with A. Testoni they would label it nicely to let you know you were buying Amadeus, mainline, or Basic.

This has been explained on another thread in this site but it bothers me enough that I don't mind reiterating it here.. An internet search for A. Testoni Basic comes up with next to nothing, which leads one to believe that the Basic line is being manufactured exclusively for Gilt without them informing consumers. The *only* tip-off you get to what line you are buying from (aside from when you get your shoes and look at the label) is that it says "Imported" instead of "Italy". So they're not really being discounted from $500 to $200. They're cheap shoes that you're buying at MSRP that are passing as A. Testoni mainline and Gilt puts them on sale every 2-3 weeks because their profit margins must be huge. It's bordering on ethical business practice.

fwiw, i saw a testoni basic @ filenes...

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Srly. To their credit, GILT gave me a refund on an incorrectly described item, which was initially issued as credit. GILT forgot to undo the credit so I got a charge back on my card and the credit. Too bad it was for only around $100. Suckas.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
fwiw, i saw a testoni basic @ filenes...

Then I retract what I reiterated about Gilt exclusivity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads