• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gilt Practice of Marking Items "Sold Out" Before Sale Starts

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not a huge fan of Gilt, but I occasionally browse when something decent comes up. I am able to view the sales, but not purchase anything, before the sale actually starts. I can confirm that today, when I was previewing a sale, there were items listed as "Sold Out" before the sale actually began (hasn't started even as of now). I know most assumed that this was a common Gilt practice to add hype to the sale, but it has now been verified.

I am merely putting this out there for others to know. I can't say this is their most deceptive practice. I just think that others should know about how Gilt runs their business. You may develop your own opinion about this.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gilt has a premium tier that allows its members to access sales 15 minutes before they "open". This could explain the phenomenon you witnessed.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
Gilt has a premium tier that allows its members to access sales 15 minutes before they "open". This could explain the phenomenon you witnessed.

Gilt Noir members get to look at, not purchase, merchandise 15min before the sale begins.

Some sales are offered to Noir a day or so before the general public (for example, the Pucci accessories sale that is up right now). In this case, it would be possible for an item to be sold out before the general sale begins.

None of the sales that started today were available for pre-shop, so either rebel is correct or it is just a timing issue (some people buying damn fast).

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
Gilt Noir members get to look at, not purchase, merchandise 15min before the sale begins.

Some sales are offered to Noir a day or so before the general public (for example, the Pucci accessories sale that is up right now). In this case, it would be possible for an item to be sold out before the general sale begins.

None of the sales that started today were available for pre-shop, so either rebel is correct or it is just a timing issue (some people buying damn fast).

Correct. Gilt Noir does not let you buy before the sale begins. I was looking at items 20 minutes before the sale even began, so it could not be "fast fingers."

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gilt was a fantastic business concept.

Anybody know how they are doing lately?

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Gilt was a fantastic business concept.

Anybody know how they are doing lately?

All I've seen recently is overpriced eurotrash that I wouldn't touch if Gilt paid ME their ridiculous "bargain" price. YMMV.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
All I've seen recently is overpriced eurotrash that I wouldn't touch if Gilt paid ME their ridiculous "bargain" price. YMMV.

I have to believe that a fairly high percentage of the "high end" menswear market is composed of guys who are into that exact sort of thing.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least as to designers for which they have repeated sales, things are marked sold out prior to going live since they were sold out in the previous sale.

Back in the day, GILT would have such limited inventory of a designer, and the hype of the limited nature of the flash sale caused things to sell out, and GILT would not have a repeat flash sale a few months later. But now GILT has increased its inventory, and people realize what they sell is crap or the item descriptions suck that the "exclusive" A. Testoni sale is held again on regular intervals. Things sold out in previous sales are marked as such.

As for first-time sales, the posts above seem to address that.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ugg i hate gilt anything i've ever bought i was never happy with

Sazerac

Reaction score
Gilt Noir? Srsly? That's the douchiest "exclusive" name I've ever heard.

Still, they occasionally have good deals on 16/20 shirts, and I've bought a few things for my wife on there.

But Gilt Noir?
ffffuuuu.gif

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nobody shops at Gilt anymore, it's too busy

but seriously, I don't know why anyone buys anything from there, the consumer experience is beyond awful

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my VW from them.

Regards.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
I got my VW from them.

Regards.

laugh.gif
Let me guess, super limited edition? Wouldn't surprise me if they misrepresented the horsepower.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics