• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gilt Groupe Issue

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this before but I bought a Bamford and Son Cotton/Wool Overcoat for $450 from the Sale this week. Got it last night and noticed that the manufacturers tag is showing a retails of 495 pounds. On the contrary Gilt claimed that retail was at $1600.

I dont know if this was simply a typo on the site but I am not happy with the coat itself, plus the fact that the retail was incorrectly stated. Anyone else notice this? Im going to ask for a full refund.

Nothing against Gilt, they are a good vendor and site, its just this is not the fist time I have noticed this.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, on one hand US prices are not direct equivalents of their foreign ones.

On the other hand, 495 GBP would be 700 or 800 USD, so that is a big difference.

jsherman02

Reaction score
I find retail prices are meaningless.... If you are willing to pay the price for the item...than the retail price means nothing.

However, their (Gilt) return policy is another subject.

Balthazar

Reaction score
I see your point jsherman, but still, if they are inflating retail prices, that would be a problem I think. People (correctly) assume some correlation between price and quality.

The two things I have bought from Gilt had original tags that matched the claimed MSRP.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Well, on one hand US prices are not direct equivalents of their foreign ones.

On the other hand, 495 GBP would be 700 or 800 USD, so that is a big difference.

That I know, but it is still half of what was claimed. Since I expected the retail to be much higher I thought I would be getting a better quality product. I am honestly not impressed at all with this jacket and even unhappier with Gilts return policy.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Perhaps it's sold for $1600 in the US and 495 GBP in GB? Kind of like Levis used to be. Since they only sell in the US, they compare to the US MSRP.

GiltGroupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This issue is a different matter; but, in regards to MSRP and what may actually be listed on the tag there is always room for variance. MSRP stands for "suggested" retail price; but, a Saks, Neimans, Barneys can sell these for whatever they want compared to a designer's own boutiques. Also, in dealing with exchange rates there can be room for additional variance.

However, in this case, with today's conversion rates that jacket would have an "MSRP" of about $800. If you've been to Bergdorf or Barneys and looked at Bamford you will not find an overcoat of this nature for $800. In the case of Bamford (like some other vendors) when they mark things on sale in their own stores they reprint an entirely new ticket instead of putting a sticker over the old price or a slash through it. This is simply the case in the overcoat that you recieved.
When we work out the retail prices we are working from wholesale costs so they will always be inline with department store/boutique markups.

Our return policy is clearly state and we've not found that many people have a problem with it. Any sized item can be returned or exchanged within 14 days for account credit. Items without a size are final sale.

jsherman02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GiltGroupe
Hi,

This issue is a different matter; but, in regards to MSRP and what may actually be listed on the tag there is always room for variance. MSRP stands for "suggested" retail price; but, a Saks, Neimans, Barneys can sell these for whatever they want compared to a designer's own boutiques. Also, in dealing with exchange rates there can be room for additional variance.

However, in this case, with today's conversion rates that jacket would have an "MSRP" of about $800. If you've been to Bergdorf or Barneys and looked at Bamford you will not find an overcoat of this nature for $800. In the case of Bamford (like some other vendors) when they mark things on sale in their own stores they reprint an entirely new ticket instead of putting a sticker over the old price or a slash through it. This is simply the case in the overcoat that you recieved.
When we work out the retail prices we are working from wholesale costs so they will always be inline with department store/boutique markups.

Our return policy is clearly state and we've not found that many people have a problem with it. Any sized item can be returned or exchanged within 14 days for account credit. Items without a size are final sale.

The store credit thing bugs me....that is all. You guys have always been great to me, so no complaints...I just am mopre gun shy to order from you knowing that the item is a final sale.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The price for something, anything, it what you will pay for it. Don't buy into the "discount" illusion.

jsherman02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
The price for something, anything, it what you will pay for it. Don't buy into the "discount" illusion.

^ I agree 100%

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be returning this item for 100% refund. Hopefully Gilt will be understanding of the situation.

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
I will be returning this item for 100% refund. Hopefully Gilt will be understanding of the situation.
Full refund for store credit? No? Then I guess things will get nasty around here.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

That you paid like $400 bucks for a $1600 jacket and are pissed about it?

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
That you paid like $400 bucks for a $1600 jacket and are pissed about it?

No $400 for a $800 that was claimed as a $1600.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No $400 for a $800 that was claimed as a $1600.

I think Gilt's explanation is fair enough. In addition, the exchange rate when they tagged the item was probably closer to 2:1.

I can see you being disappointed about what you received. These instances are parts of the "joy" of internet shopping. Sometimes, you just don't get what you hoped for. But it doesn't appear that Gilt did anything misleading to cause this result (and most online retailers don't).

Gilt's return policy is understandable (and stated). They are basically liquidating seasonable merchandise. They can't have a liberal return policy otherwise they may be flooded with returns when they thought they reduced their inventory. This has to be factored in your buying decision so at least you are prepared for the possible outcomes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads