• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

gift suggestion for a recommender

Tibo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd like to have fellow forumers' advice on this. I am applying to B-school and met the chairman of my preferred b-school's national alumni association in a professional setting last year.

This year, I asked him if he would provide me with a recommendation letter. He accepted and did it.

Now I'm a little bit confused. Should I make him a gift ? I'm enclined to think I should, but I want to be sure it'll not be misinterpreted.

If I do give him a gift, what would you suggest ? Safe bet=wine or champagne. Any idea of the value of the gift ?

Thanks for your help

Tibo

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't send a gift.

A letter of thanks, yes.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't send a gift. Send a hand-written thank you note.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibo
Should I make him a gift ?
Is this verb form... normal in modern US English? Just curious. Reminds me of Italians speaking English. If so, how long have Americans been using this verb in this form? Oh, unless you actually mean MAKE him a gift as in 'handicrafts'; not sure. Sorry. Just realised location. And spelling.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
another vote for no gifts. call him up, instead and thank him personally.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think a thank-you letter will suffice, although if it's someone that you're acquainted with beyond a casual meeting then a small gift may be appropriate. I've sometimes given small gifts like a bottle of wine or box of chocolates (which usually goes over very well for people with children).

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
Sorry. Just realised location. And spelling.

Like in ?

That being said, it's true that "make a gift" is a very bad, literal translation from my native language (ie French).

Tibo

Reaction score
OK, let's go for the thank you letter then.
Thanks for your suggestions!

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
like in: enclined/inclined

Tibo

Reaction score

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 31 3.7%