• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gift ideas for the lady?

mikey34

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking for a christmas gift idea for a girl I have been dating for a little while. Not looking to buy her any jewelry or anything obviously, but something a little nice. Was thinking about a scarf maybe? Any input is appreciated.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First off, she's probably been dropping hints and will be mad if you didn't pick up on them. Secondly, what is your budget and what is she into?

MarquisMagic

Reaction score
...and where do you want this relationship to go? Women tend read a great deal into the implications of a gift.

mikey34

Reaction score
red- she probably has been dropping hints all the time but I haven't been paying attention haha. budget is $100-$150, she's into mall brand stuff. She works at jcrew, plays tennis, some of her favorite brands are coach and burberry.

Some more ideas I thought about:
favorite dvds
candle

marquis- I like this girl and def see her as my gf in the future.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burberry or coach wallet with your picture inside. Done.

Also, how old are you two?

mikey34

Reaction score
sounds good to me red, thanks for the idea bro. I just turned 25 and she's 22.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A very nice bottle of perfume is nice if you know what she likes.

How about tickets to a special event, like a play or a concert? Then you can make a special evening out of it as well.

racetrack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy

How about tickets to a special event, like a play or a concert? Then you can make a special evening out of it as well.

+1

People tend to remember experiences much more strongly than materials.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
A very nice bottle of perfume is nice if you know what she likes.

I was going to suggest an event as well, like a wine tasting or something where you two can get dressed up, if she's into that sort of thing. But in my opinion that's more of a birthday thing to do. I think christmas is about tangible gifts for some reason...

mikey34

Reaction score
pocket I actually was thinking about that too, I live in sac so I was thinking a show in sf and dinner would be a great idea. maybe check out wicked?

amnesiac

Reaction score
I got my girlriend a nice fountain pen to carry around with her. She used fountain pens through most of elementary and middle school and has fond memories of them so I figured it would be a good idea to get her a new one.

Is there anything from her childhood that you know of that she's fond of? Something to show that you were listening when she was rambling on about whatever story from whenever that you could take from and give her something that associates that positive memory with you now would be good.

MsMcGillicuddy

Reaction score
I get what Red is saying (about tangible gifts at Christmas), but I also think experiences are the better gifts. Perhaps you get a little creative, like give her the soundtrack to the show you pick along with the tickets.

Also, speaking from experience (as one who has received, not given): I'd steer clear of perfume unless you know the exact type she would like. Otherwise it's just uncomfortable for everyone.

mikey34

Reaction score
great idea guys and thanks for the input. She talked about her childhood a bit, but nothing worth noting (she said she was into barbies but I don't think she really wants one now). Since I can't decide what to get her between material and experience, I'm just going to get her both. Final decision: coach wallet and tickets to the show "wicked"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads