• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gift for g/f dilemma.

aspriel

Reaction score
Okay, Christmas is coming up, and I'm pondering gift ideas for the girlfriend. We've been together about 1.5 years. We're both in college. I'm not from a rich background, but I'm solidly middle class and have a decent amount of disposable income, not so much of the parents handing it out, but I always have a job. My girlfriend has always been poor, for the most part. Until she came to college, she lived in public housing.

It comes down to the practical versus the extravagant. I -could- get her a new laser engraved iPod, since I know she'd use it. However, I was thinking of getting her a really nice scarf or wallet instead - like from Burberry or something, because I really like that idea more.

The scarf/wallet idea I see will happen one of two ways, and I don't know which way. One is that she'll really enjoy the feeling of having something nice and expensive-ish, and think it's totally awesome. The other is maybe she'll think it's awkward - carrying around a Burberry wallet or wearing a Burberry scarf with outfits from Kohl's/Target. I'm not sure which - would it be too awkward to have an outfit worth $20 and a scarf/wallet worth $250 complimenting it?

She loves going to places like Nordstrom with me, but is always sad that she can't ever afford ANYTHING nice, and has to shop at Target for her clothes and stuff.

I personally am leaning towards the Burberry wallet(cause she needs one) or -maybe- scarf, but am willing to entertain suggestions. Please give them if you have them (no gift cards, I feel they're kind of impersonal for a g/f) - my absolute maximum is $300.

SF ladies, if you are out there, chime in as well!

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I would definitely stay away from any trivial product which comes with an expensive brand name, such as the Burberry scarf or wallet.

The ipod might be a better choice, as it costs about the same but she could use it a lot more. If you were to give her the ipod, I'd load it full of music for her to make it a bit more personal - sort of the same concept as never giving someone a photo frame without a picture in it.

Since you've been together for a fair amount of time, definitely lean to something which is more personal or from the heart than something which is simply expensive and branded.

coachvu

Reaction score
The iPod would be nice, especially since you say she'd use it quite a bit. However, she may actually have the scarf or wallet much longer, since the iPod probably won't work for too many years. If you do get a wallet or scarf, PLEASE don't get something tacky like Burberry. You can get better quality for much less. Plus, that Burberry tartan is pretty ubiquitous. Why not something more unique?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Just my opinion, but I would definitely stay away from any trivial product which comes with an expensive brand name, such as the Burberry scarf or wallet.

The ipod might be a better choice, as it costs about the same but she could use it a lot more. If you were to give her the ipod, I'd load it full of music for her to make it a bit more personal - sort of the same concept as never giving someone a photo frame without a picture in it.

Since you've been together for a fair amount of time, definitely lean to something which is more personal or from the heart than something which is simply expensive and branded.

Good call in every respect.

If you want to get a nice cashmere scarf, definitely avoid the branded stuff-- check out a link from www.englishcut.com to something a little off center.

Or, for the same price, you might be able to find someone who hand-paints silk. That could be cool-- I did that once for my wife. Found an artist who paints silk scarves, that is. I can't do that.

stach

Reaction score
If you're going up to $300 I would say get a sweater and scarf or something more substantial like that. If you give her a pushy wallet she may think you're not happy with her the way she is and you want to 'change' her, if that makes any sense -
Edit- She would probaby love pearls -

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why not get both? And wrap the Ipod in the scarf.

aspriel

Reaction score
chobochobo: Because that'd be $600. Great idea though, I'd love to.

She's not really into jewelry - I've given her jewelry before, but she just doesn't wear jewelry as a general rule....

And I *love* the Burberry tartan. :p

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
ah, but don't get the uber-expensive scarf that costs 300. I'm sure you can get a good quality scarf for much less.

Oh don't forget, if all goes well, there will be plenty more opportunities for you to give her gifts.

aspriel

Reaction score
The wallet idea came because I was at the Burberry store today and really liked it - the women's wallet, it seemed something she both needed and would like. The scarf is just seeing it and loving the tartan and how soft it was.

I'm pretty sure she wouldn't think I was trying to "change" her - it's not that she shops at Target and Kohl's out of adoration - she comes with me to the Magnificent Mile and wishes she could buy stuff there. I'm sure she would appreciate the gesture of the gift - it's just would she feel awkward wearing it with a wardrobe of sub-$20 clothes (or as a friend said: "How would it feel to pull a $250 Burberry wallet out of a $20 PacSun purse?")

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aspriel
"How would it feel to pull a $250 Burberry wallet out of a $20 PacSun purse?"

Everyone would probably assume it to be a fake. Though, the impact of that depends whether or not you care what other people really think.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
...And I *love* the Burberry tartan. :p
That's a gift giving trap, you dont buy what would want for yourself for others, you buy them what they would like for themselves. If she's never made mention of wanting a Burberry anything then dont get her that.

Listen to whatever VMan says.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ipod is always good. I know I loved it when I got an ipod.

If she is always complaining about not having enough nice things to wear then don't just get her a wallet and scarf because for a college student everyone will assume it is fake (as someone stated). You can find really nice wallets and scarves for much cheaper elsewhere. If you want to spend $300 why not get her a nice outfit or some nice pairs of shoes?

My girlfriend buys a lot from Target for herself for the same reason and out of all the stuff I get her from BR, Macy's, Club Monaco, etc, her Target stuff is the only stuff that gets compliments, go figure.

I always surprise my g/f with shoes from boutique-y stores around town too. A nice pair of shoes always spruces up the whole outfit I think. If anything outside of Target gets compliments that I buy her, it is the shoes.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Okay, Christmas is coming up, and I'm pondering gift ideas for the girlfriend. We've been together about 1.5 years. We're both in college. I'm not from a rich background, but I'm solidly middle class and have a decent amount of disposable income, not so much of the parents handing it out, but I always have a job. My girlfriend has always been poor, for the most part. Until she came to college, she lived in public housing.

It comes down to the practical versus the extravagant. I -could- get her a new laser engraved iPod, since I know she'd use it. However, I was thinking of getting her a really nice scarf or wallet instead - like from Burberry or something, because I really like that idea more.

The scarf/wallet idea I see will happen one of two ways, and I don't know which way. One is that she'll really enjoy the feeling of having something nice and expensive-ish, and think it's totally awesome. The other is maybe she'll think it's awkward - carrying around a Burberry wallet or wearing a Burberry scarf with outfits from Kohl's/Target. I'm not sure which - would it be too awkward to have an outfit worth $20 and a scarf/wallet worth $250 complimenting it?

She loves going to places like Nordstrom with me, but is always sad that she can't ever afford ANYTHING nice, and has to shop at Target for her clothes and stuff.

I personally am leaning towards the Burberry wallet(cause she needs one) or -maybe- scarf, but am willing to entertain suggestions. Please give them if you have them (no gift cards, I feel they're kind of impersonal for a g/f) - my absolute maximum is $300.

SF ladies, if you are out there, chime in as well!

I assume you know her sizes and style, why not buy an outfit for her from boutiques that you know she'd like?

aspriel

Reaction score
This scarf is totally, totally, totally her (and $100 less than I thought):
NMD4420_mp.jpg
drizzt: That was an option, but her sizing is so weirdly eclectic sometimes, I'd have to do a sort of dry run - a "hey, come try on expensive shiz at Nordstrom for fun this weekend!" and buy exact things - I've seen her not fit into an (L) dress, and seen her try on a (S) that was too big. Women's clothes are freaking WEIRD.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That light blue Burberry scarf is much better than the signature tan plaid, at least IMO.

That tan/red/black Burberry plaid is just so ubiquitous, I'd want to get her something more unique to show her she's different than all the other girls out there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads