• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gift for a Headhunter?

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Should I get the recruter who got me my new job a gift or just a thank you card. There were actualy two recruters that got the job for me, and I'm leaning toward just sending both of them cards, but I don't know if there is some sort of rule about this or not.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
Should I get the recruter who got me my new job a gift or just a thank you card. There were actualy two recruters that got the job for me, and I'm leaning toward just sending both of them cards, but I don't know if there is some sort of rule about this or not.

a card. I would also suggest that you send all of the others that you talked to emails thanking them and telling them what a great job you got.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I'm with Globe. Those guys usually get 30% of your first years's salary...

They oughta be getting you a gift!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A contact list.
tongue.gif
Agree with both globe and Steve.

muelleran

Reaction score
The way I thanked my headhunters was that I stayed in touch with them.
Years later they got me a second job and now, again a few years later, they are looking for job No. 3.

After they got me the second job we went to an expensive lunch and THEY paid. They did get 20% of the first year's salary.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you could get 'em one of these:
Shrunken-Head.jpg

wow.gif

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Dude, that is funny...

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm with Globe. Those guys usually get 30% of your first years's salary...

That is wrong, and very illegal. Recruiters get their money from the employers, they should not be taking from the employess. They can get by with it though because so few people know they aren't supposed to be doing that.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by faustian bargain
you could get 'em one of these:
Shrunken-Head.jpg
wow.gif

Fake ones made from monkey's heads aren't that expensive. Check e-bay.

muelleran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
That is wrong, and very illegal. Recruiters get their money from the employers, they should not be taking from the employess. They can get by with it though because so few people know they aren't supposed to be doing that.
Isn't that what he meant? The employer pays, but it is still calculated as a percentage of the salary.

sparx

Reaction score
Sure, I thought everybody knew that. The employer pays the recruiter--they're the only ones who can afford to. I agree with the post about keeping in touch with them.

My recruiter insisted on taking me to lunch after he got me my current job.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know a medical recruiter who makes more money than many of her doctor clients. There's no need to get them anything, IMO. A Thank You card will be more than a nice gesture.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by muelleran
Isn't that what he meant? The employer pays, but it is still calculated as a percentage of the salary.

Yes - and some of the top executive search firms charge even more than that (up to 50% of the full contract value - e.g. if it is a 3-year, $2,000,000 contract, the executive search firm would charge the employer up to $1,000,000 for that search)

Hawkeye

Reaction score
I'll go with a card, and I am definitely going to keep in touch with him and the other person at the agency who helped, she placed three people in my department in either their job now or previous jobs. I thought a gift was a bit much, my roommate suggested it, I know that they made money placing me so I wasn't to worried. Thanks for your thoughts.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Many headhunters down here try and take money directly from the employees salary as well. My brother is job hunting now, and many an unscrupulous headhunter has tried to pull **** over on him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads