• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gieves and Hawkes Sale in London Friday 11 November

brokentelephone

Reaction score
It starts tomorrow at 2pm at Truman Brewery on Brick Lane.

I went last year and got some suits at great deals (i.e., MRSP £2400 for £100) . It was a hellish experience though -- think of a space suitable for 50 people and add 40 racks of clothing and 150 more people. I'm hoping for Edward Green's for £50.

brokentelephone

Reaction score

I was not aware that EG did shoes for G&H

In the past all G&H shoes I saw were Cheaney's. I heard they were changing suppliers this year but it was for one of those long dead /now resurrected brands (well that would apply to all brands that claim more than 50 years going) but it was a London one. I am too lazy to look up the name

anyway ll the G&H stuff I am aware off is all pretty much average quality so I would be surprised they had EGs in their portfolio

it could be that they have some special line for some old geezers that did not realize that the brand went south many years ago

Great post.

Macallan

Reaction score
They do not have Edward Green shoes

The £2k suits are RTW full-canvas

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Edward Green used to manufacture shoes for G&H, but that was probably twenty or more years ago. Every firm in Northamptonshire (and a few who have gone belly-up) have made shoes for G&H at one time or another.

G&H is either extremely promiscuous with their shoe suppliers or have had a very long run of bad luck.

Last edited:

Grenadier

Reaction score
Anyone willing to proxy for a yank? If so, please PM me.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right. Sale report.

Pricing:

Suits, outerwear £95
Shirts £20 / 3 for £50
Shoes £50
Trousers £25
Belts £20
Ties, cufflinks £15
Pocket squares £5

They had a decent range of stock. As noted before, quality of the mainline stuff isn't fantastic, but at the prices above it's better than TM Lewin / Charles Tyrwhitt. I got a couple of flannel suits for £95 (from £695) and an Italian made canvassed Super 120s (from £1495), plus a couple of pairs of winter-weight trousers.

They don't have any EGs, shoes on hand were limited to some rubber-soled suede Gucci-style driving shoes and a couple of pairs of size 12 Cheaney-made black lace-ups.

In previous sales there has been a small amount of uncollected MTO and bespoke - there was none this time that I could find.

They're re-stocking daily, so pop in if you get the chance. Last year they dropped prices as they went along to get rid of unsold stock.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Lots of scarves, from cashmere to white silk evening scarves. The ties were alright, many knit, and a few wool herringbone. Pocket squares only £5, but minimal selection. Cufflinks mostly tacky logo ones but they had some breast wallets for £20, down from £195. A nice source for a hard to find item, so I grabbed one in pebble black leather. Many tunic and formal shirts, so now's the time if you've been meaning to get one. But if you dig you can find regular white broadcloth at the bottom of the boxes (and remember to look under the tables), and there are many other basics. Minimal knitwear, a few polos.

They had an assortment of waistcoats, including double-breasted linen if you want to plan ahead for next summer. The 3-piece double-breasted flannel suits looked very nice at £95, but they didn't seem to have anything smaller than a 38L so I was out of luck.

Very busy though—I was there at 14:15 and it the cash line was already quite long.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the scarves - someone will probably have cleaned up by now, but they had some lovely lightweight cashmere mix ones with a hand-rolled hem all the way up the sides (but on a normal long scarf).

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is the quality of their trousers?

Very good in my experience - I've got about 10 pairs of them, and whilst there's no handwork they're solidly made (Italian made for most of the pairs I own), fit nicely and wear well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics