• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gianluca Isaia Topcoat

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's black. As the owner of a black topcoat, I say: step away. It's not a versatile. It's a dead color - has no life when, in the dead of winter, you may want it most.

Also, doesn't $1700 seem a little (ahem) inexpensive for an Isaia overcoat?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I'm in the market for a new topcoat and I think now is probably a good time to get one at a reasonable price. What do you guys think of this Isaia topcoat from STP? Any comments on construction, fit, or other issues?

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pro...x?baseno=48406

I don't like these patch pockets but if you do (and if you're looking for a black coat), you should go for it. I have another Isaia coat that I bought from STP and I absolutely love it. Just like the Isaia suit jackets, it feels light, fluid and very comfortable. It is nicely fitted at the shoulders and through the chest. Shoulders are very soft and very lightly padded, without looking sloppy though - even without a suit jacket underneath. Fabric of my coat is wool & cashmere and is as soft as can be. I like the coat a lot and it gets me lots of compliments

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the black is one thing about it that I'm not sure about. I would probably prefer something in a dark gray or charcoal. Maybe I should scour the outlets and see what I find.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't care for the color or those pockets.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I don't like these patch pockets but if you do (and if you're looking for a black coat), you should go for it. I have another Isaia coat that I bought from STP and I absolutely love it. Just like the Isaia suit jackets, it feels light, fluid and very comfortable. It is nicely fitted at the shoulders and through the chest. Shoulders are very soft and very lightly padded, without looking sloppy though - even without a suit jacket underneath. Fabric of my coat is wool & cashmere and is as soft as can be. I like the coat a lot and it gets me lots of compliments

I wonder how often STP gets Isaia topcoats. I like the look and styling of this coat but I'm really not sure about the black and would prefer something in a different color. Maybe I should just wait a while longer (it's not like it's going to be winter any time soon) and see if STP gets some other Isaia topcoats in different colors. They also have this Navy Pinstripe coat, but the red collar looks a little too much like what the Commie Police in the old country used to wear:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pro...x?baseno=52330

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder how often STP gets Isaia topcoats. I like the look and styling of this coat but I'm really not sure about the black and would prefer something in a different color. Maybe I should just wait a while longer (it's not like it's going to be winter any time soon) and see if STP gets some other Isaia topcoats in different colors. They also have this Navy Pinstripe coat, but the red collar looks a little too much like what the Commie Police in the old country used to wear:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pro...x?baseno=52330

I wonder how much a tailor would charge to replace that red velvet with black? Would that be a pretty involved undertaking?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
I wonder how much a tailor would charge to replace that red velvet with black? Would that be a pretty involved undertaking?

Description says it's corduroy (not that it answers your question...
tongue.gif
).
I don't really like the belted back either by the way

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the black color and the cut--it's just the price that seems too much. Filene's Basement and the outlets will soon have made in Italy overcoats at that price or less for 100% cashmere. In January Saks, Barneys, NM, etc will have cashmere overcoats for less.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's an eBay seller, Nitr-o, who specializes in Isaia and from whom I purchased a very nice brand-new cashmere-blend Gianluca overcoat last winter at a very good price, $400+ if I remember correctly. (Gianluca is the lower-priced Isaia line.) The purchase was a really good eBay experience all around, and this seller, Pete, always has a lot of Isaia garments at what appear to be great prices. Pete also describes his offerings in a lot of detail (just screen out the hyperbole, which is a trifle..,exuberant!), and you'll find Isaia suits, trousers, and shirts too--again at good prices. Below is a link to the Isaia overcoats he has at the moment. I imagine that his supply will increase greatly as we approach autumn.

http://stores.ebay.com/Nitr-o-Satori...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Incidentally, I too would advise against black. I went with a navy coat, which I consider far more appealing and versatile.

Edit: Just looked at the STP coat. I'd think carefully about what's basically a knee-length (at best) coat, or 3/4-length. To my eye, they're a little off. They look too casual to work in most situations I need an overcoat. My strong preference is for a full-length coat--which means about 47" to 48" from bottom of collar at back. However, if you want a 3/4-length coat, lots are available.

OK. Jeez, Roger, get with the program. Just saw the second one now. Much better, but the red collar is a big turn-off, and you can do better pricewise on eBay. Also, I don't care for pinstripes on overcoats, but that's probably just me.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
There's an eBay seller, Nitr-o, who specializes in Isaia and from whom I purchased a very nice brand-new cashmere-blend Gianluca overcoat last winter at a very good price, $400+ if I remember correctly. (Gianluca is the lower-priced Isaia line.) The purchase was a really good eBay experience all around, and this seller, Pete, always has a lot of Isaia garments at what appear to be great prices. Pete also describes his offerings in a lot of detail (just screen out the hyperbole, which is a trifle..,exuberant!), and you'll find Isaia suits, trousers, and shirts too--again at good prices. Below is a link to the Isaia overcoats he has at the moment. I imagine that his supply will increase greatly as we approach autumn.

http://stores.ebay.com/Nitr-o-Satori...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Incidentally, I too would advise against black. I went with a navy coat, which I consider far more appealing and versatile.

Edit: Just looked at the STP coat. I'd think carefully about what's basically a knee-length (at best) coat, or 3/4-length. To my eye, they're a little off. They look too casual to work in most situations I need an overcoat. My strong preference is for a full-length coat--which means about 47" to 48" from bottom of collar at back. However, if you want a 3/4-length coat, lots are available.

OK. Jeez, Roger, get with the program. Just saw the second one now. Much better, but the red collar is a big turn-off, and you can do better pricewise on eBay.

Thanks for the link Roger. Thing is that I'm 25 years old and in the fall I'm going to be a first year associate at a large law firm. Given my age and my position with my firm I think I'm better off with a shorter top coat (one that is above knee length). It might be weird that I think this and I might be totally off base, but similar to things like wearing suspenders, I think long topcoats is best left to the older more experienced guys at the firm. Is this weird?

EDIT: Also, for the Isaia topcoats, do you go with the same size as the suit size you normally wear?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Roger. Thing is that I'm 25 years old and in the fall I'm going to be a first year associate at a large law firm. Given my age and my position with my firm I think I'm better off with a shorter top coat (one that is above knee length). It might be weird that I think this and I might be totally off base, but similar to things like wearing suspenders, I think long topcoats is best left to the older more experienced guys at the firm. Is this weird?

It's not that weird. I have a similar view of things. I personally dislike full-length coats and associate them with older people.

EDIT: Also, for the Isaia topcoats, do you go with the same size as the suit size you normally wear?

Yes. Unless you expect to always wear the coat without a jacket underneath, in which case you should go down a size

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads