Gianfranco Ferre

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HoustonBusiness, Apr 13, 2005.

1. HoustonBusiness

HoustonBusiness Active Member

Two questions about a Ferre suit for sale on eBay. Â Here's the link to the suit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....IT&rd=1 First, the seller represents that the suit has a retail price of $1,750. Â I don't know/care much whether the actual retail price is $1,750 because even if the actual retail value is only half that number the suit would probably fit my needs. Â But, I would be curious to know if any forum members could tell me whether that price is anywhere close to accurate to assist me in judging the veracity/knowledge of the seller. Second, I have to believe that if this suit is worn and cared for properly it would last for several years, which is probably as long as I would want to wear a given suit anyway. Â My question is this: can anyone give me a good reason why this suit by Ferre would be an unwise purchase at $159.00? I would appreciate your feedback.

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Because you get get something else for $159? Because you personally won't value it at $159? Those are two good reasons.

This will be a decent suit. For this price, if you want something NWTs you likely won't be able to do better. If you up your price range to $375 - $400, you could get something better. But that's over double your current price. If this isn't precisely what you want, take a pass. Suits like this at this price are a dime a dozen. On the other hand, if you've been looking for a brown suit and like the styling on this one, by all means go for it.

3. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

I find it hard to believe that it is a $1750.00 suit though. Which is not to say it's not a $159.00 suit. Studio is a diffusion line of Ferre - lower quality, lower prices - than the mainline. I would venture to say this suit retailed for between $900 and $1200.

Dan

4. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

FWIW, I just saw the recent GFF spring line at Macy's this weekend. I think the suits listed between $695-895. I thought they looked pretty nice. High gorge, 2- and 3-button, double vent jackets with many nice touches like contrasting piping on the lining, pick-stitchig, etc. No brown suits however. All were shades of navy and different width stripes.

5. Ed13

Ed13 Senior member

I would avoid any article in the Studio line. I have a pair of trousers in my car right now that are on their way back to my tailor. I wore the trousers twice and one of the button hole's stitching unravelled. I wore the pants again and a seam in the trousers has unravelled. Total crap. I will have them fixed once more. If they start to fall apart again I will throw them away.

6. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

Yeah, I was thinking that the ones I've seen at DSW had a "compare at" price of about $800--available at DSW for $199.

7. HoustonBusiness

HoustonBusiness Active Member

Thanks for the input, it will guide my decision.