• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GF birthday ideas

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Streetwear and Denim edition. I know this is a little frivolous, but I'm at a loss--and bored. My gf's birthday (24) is coming up in a few weeks, and I have nothing yet. We're not huge gift-givers, for the most part (took each other out to dinner/drinks for xmas). I need something around $100, give or take $50.

What have you given recently that was especially well-received?

My ideas:

1) Car stereo - hers was stolen awhile back. This is the kind of useful, practical gift I would love, but she'd probably think "meh."

2) Costume jewelry - like Alex + Chloe, etc. Any opinions on good sources for this kind of stuff? Tasteful/trendy brands? Stuff to avoid as fashion victim-y?

3) Clothes - she respects my taste, and I know hers pretty well. Somewhere between Anthropologie and Barney's. I'd love to give her a nice bag, but I don't have $2000. Good online sources for nice lady stuff? I don't keep up with it too well...

4) Intellectual-type gifts - Theatre tix, books, etc. Things she genuinely likes but I think might be secretly disappointed to receive as a bday present.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Day at a spa/facial treatments/expensive salon?

Jewellery from small boutiques online?

Make her a nice supper with nice food, ingredients & ambiance?

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally think of spas as pissing away money. But chicks LOVE spa gift cards. Even stuff that I consider stupid like getting a manicure or a pedicure gets them hot.

And the idea of cooking a nice meal is great too - but you need to be confident of your kitchen skills; and if you're not, have a backup gift.

Probably avoid clothes unless you're certain of her size in it. Underwear or lingere if you're relationship is at that level. If she's a nympho, nothin says I love you like a high quality marital aid.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Antique cameo locket for Christmas, but that was above your price range. Antique jewellry is always nice imo - shows care in choosing, if nothing else, and you can get something nice and unique without blowing a grand or more. Again, think back to past hints. Girls are always dropping them.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Antique cameo locket for Christmas, but that was above your price range. Antique jewellry is always nice imo - shows care in choosing, if nothing else, and you can get something nice and unique without blowing a grand or more. Again, think back to past hints. Girls are always dropping them.
Yes. I try to keep tabs of things my wife looks at through the year, maybe feign interest in helping her look for things online. Then lo and behold, she later finds herself with something she wanted but forgot about or was putting off!
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Step 1: cut a hole in a box.
Lol

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gave my gf a Kitchen Aid Artisan series mixer for xmas, in her favorite color. She loved it and promised to make fresh bread, cookies, pasta, etc,. I can't wait! Last year, I gave her some items from Da Nang, she loved those as well. Now, she's looking for some boots, which I'll keep an eye out for something cute for the next gift-giving occassion. The key is to keep an ear out for hints she dropped.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are going to go the spa route, get a gift basket instead of a gift certificate. Any high-end spa (I have used Celadon near Metro Center) will have lots of spa-related products for sale. Have a spa employee help you put together a gift basket with candles, bath salts, shower gels, body lotions, etc. If you don't know what scent your GF likes, you can never go wrong with lavender.

ayn

Reaction score
my gf likes this squirrel coin case by anya hindmark...
change_squirrel.jpg

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses. Keep 'em coming.

Did the spa thing last year, and though it was welcome, it seems like a bit of a copout. The basket would up the personality of it, AC, thanks for the Celadon rec.

I'll be making her a nice dinner anyway, and kitchen equipment would be seen as a gift to myself
smile.gif

I'm leaning away from clothing to avoid just those size issues. I know her size, but it's still risky. As for the level, we've been dating a long time (since college), and are looking at living together/engagement later this year (
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
but possibly
crazy.gif
). We're largely past the point of hints. The hint is, "spend a little more than I think you can afford, but not so much that we have to eat out of a dumpster like breakfasteatre."

Jewelry seems to be the best bet. She's definitely a fan of antique/costume jewelry; I might just have to scan the shops in the area.

Step 1: cut a hole in a box.
I dunno, she might want something bigger.

ayn

Reaction score
My gf also likes the **** by Dirty Librarian... (the designer Susan is a friend of her, I think they went to UT Austin together or something, not sure)... so I *might* be able to get you a discount...

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
I dunno, she might want something bigger.

C'mon man, don't sell yourself short.
rimshot.gif

I just purchased concert tickets for my wife's birthday for us to go see The Chieftans in March right before St. Patrick's Day. My wife is of 100% Irish decent and helps plan the local St. Paddy's Day parade, so I thought this would be a good idea (plus, I asked her if there was anything special she wanted and she came up with nothing).

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
2. Put your junk in that box.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3) Make her open the box

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics