• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

getting wrinkles out of dress slacks, shoes, and non-iron dress shirts

manabout

Reaction score
What's the best way to get wrinkles out of suit dress slacks? I tend to get them near the crotch area. I usually use an iron and apply some steam or iron the wrinkles out if the steaming doesn't work. Is this is the best way? I've read that ironing can create a shine on the fabric.

What's the best non-iron dress shirts? I like pinpoint collars and have tried different brands. I've checked out the Brook Brothers. What about Paul Frederick? I tend to like slim fit shirts due to my build.

Also, what are decent dress shoes? I like AE's but alot of my buddies just wear Johnston & Murphy as workhorse shoes.

I also got a Canali suit. Really nice. But it's Super 150 and the inside label stated "Special Edition." I asked the sales rep about it but he just replied 150 is better blah blah blah. He couldn't tell me if it's fully canvassed or 1/2 canvassed. How can you tell if you feel between the jacket material layers that you're feeling the canvassed material?

Thanks for your assistance.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For trouser wrinkles, have you tried steaming them in the shower? That usually does it for mine, as long as the wrinkles aren't too bad. Best to avoid ironing as much as possible, for the reason you mention.

Can't help you with the non-iron shirts, as I don't care for them. They always seem to need a touch-up with an iron, and that seems to defeat the point. But I know a lot of guys like them, and I'm sure someone will chime in.

AEs are definitely decent dress shoes. You'll get many years of service from a pair, assuming you take good care of them and let them rest at least a day between wearings. The difference between my AEs and my single pair of J&M is like night and day. I won't buy J&M again, even on steep discount. (Paid $40 or so for my one pair, and that was too much.) For more on good shoes, check out Jcusey's shoe pyramid over at Ask Andy: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/T...seyOnShoes.htm

As for determining whether a suit is fully canvassed, try this: Do the pinch test below the bottom button. If you can feel a third layer there, the jacket is fully canvassed. It's much easier to get an accurate reading there than, say, at the chest.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome.

You might consider ironing the inside of the pants, and only as much as necessary. Lots of steam. Also, hanging them by the cuffs on a clamp hanger on your shower curtain rod or nearby is a good way as well. The weight of the hem will help pull the fabric back into shape while the steam loosens it up.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
first do not allow your bare iron to touch any part of the suit.
go to a fabric store and buy 1/2 yard of drill, its a heavy cotton.
toss it into the washing maching. this removes starch and conditions the cloth.
this is now your press cloth. cut it in more convenient peices for use.
this press cloth goes between the iron and the wool.
first use high steam then switch to dry till all the steam is dryed out.
alternate method. use a small sponge wrung out almost dry. use it to wipe over the press cloth to leave a thin film of water on the press cloth. then use a dry iron. press till dry.

manabout

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
first do not allow your bare iron to touch any part of the suit.
go to a fabric store and buy 1/2 yard of drill, its a heavy cotton.
toss it into the washing maching. this removes starch and conditions the cloth.
this is now your press cloth. cut it in more convenient peices for use.
this press cloth goes between the iron and the wool.
first use high steam then switch to dry till all the steam is dryed out.
alternate method. use a small sponge wrung out almost dry. use it to wipe over the press cloth to leave a thin film of water on the press cloth. then use a dry iron. press till dry.

Will do sir. I know iron touching the suit material may give it a shine. Do you require a dark colored cotton "drill?" Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads