Getting Wax off a sweater....?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dorian, Nov 29, 2004.

1. dorian

dorian Senior member

Has anyone had any experience (or any suggestions) of how to get wax out of a merino wool sweater? I'm hesitant to just throw it in the washing machine, as I don't know what the heat will do... other than melt the wax, that is.

Any and all suggestions are most welcome. Thanks in advance..

2. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

was it wax from a candle? back in the day, I'd take a blowdryer to it, and it would seemingly evaporate. not sure how safe that is though.

3. alaaro

alaaro Senior member

Can you put it in the freezer? It should crumble apart, I think.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

5. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

1. Place ice in a bag and put it on the wax stain to freeze the wax. Hold it there until the wax is good and hard.

2. Chip off all of the wax that you can with a butter knife and/or your fingernails (be especially careful with lace tablecloths).

3. Now you have two options: Bring it in for a professional cleaning or lay a plain brown paper bag (without any writing on it) or blotting paper over the wax. Heat an iron to medium-hot and press it over the bag, changing the bag as it absorbs the wax.

Try this, it should work

6. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

When I got a bunch of wax on my leather jacket from sitting underneath a candle on the wall, I just put a paper towel on it, set my iron to high and hovered the iron over the paper towel about an inch away, the towel absorbed the wax and it was gone in under 5 minutes.

7. dorian

dorian Senior member

Thanks, guys... the brown paper bag and iron worked wonders on the sweater. BUT, only just well enough on my Barbour's corduroy collar. [​IMG] I love that jacket so much I immediately looked to replace it, and I realized just how much these damn things cost. Thanks again.

8. heygirlm

heygirlm New Member

I used Nutrimetics Nutriclean OLC to get candle wax off my jumpers. I just rubbed it on the wax and put them in the washing machine and it worked! If not machine washable rinse by hand.