• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting to Sleep

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time getting to sleep before midnight. I have a nearly impossible time getting up before 8 a.m. I am supposed to be in the office at 8 a.m. This meant I got in trouble a fair bit before my boss was fired. Now that I don't have any supervision at my location, I am late even more. I am rarely at the office before 9 a.m.

I don't have enough time between 5 p.m. and anytime before 11 p.m. or so to get done what I need to get done - gym, eating, personal hygiene routine, watching a bit of TV...

I am two years out of college where I purposely set up my schedule to allow me to go to bed around 2 a.m., and up at 10 a.m.

I like to stay up late on weekends... always until 1 a.m., often until close to 3 a.m.

I am wondering if my internal clock is just totally screwed up. Should I set my alarm for 5 a.m. and force myself up then? Maybe try to hit the gym before work?

Or should I become self-employed, or work nights at a coffee shop?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
now that you are an adult the answer should be simple to you. you find yourself choosing between making choices that should provide long-term positive or negative consequences to your next day you need to go to work.
cut out Television if you cant find time to squeeze things in. you have to make concessions in your daily routine to ensure you are at work on time and be able to perform properly at it. that is all part of adulthood.

wiscogooner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
now that you are an adult the answer should be simple to you. you find yourself choosing between making choices that should provide long-term positive or negative consequences to your next day you need to go to work.
cut out Television if you cant find time to squeeze things in. you have to make concessions in your daily routine to ensure you are at work on time and be able to perform properly at it. that is all part of adulthood.

ditto that.

priorities. there's only 24 hours in a day. I bet there's around 5-6 hours in every weekday that you have to yourself when you're not sleeping or working. That's a decent amount of time to get stuff done.

TowleY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
I have a hard time getting to sleep before midnight. I have a nearly impossible time getting up before 8 a.m. I am supposed to be in the office at 8 a.m. This meant I got in trouble a fair bit before my boss was fired. Now that I don't have any supervision at my location, I am late even more. I am rarely at the office before 9 a.m.

I don't have enough time between 5 p.m. and anytime before 11 p.m. or so to get done what I need to get done - gym, eating, personal hygiene routine, watching a bit of TV...

I am two years out of college where I purposely set up my schedule to allow me to go to bed around 2 a.m., and up at 10 a.m.

I like to stay up late on weekends... always until 1 a.m., often until close to 3 a.m.

I am wondering if my internal clock is just totally screwed up. Should I set my alarm for 5 a.m. and force myself up then? Maybe try to hit the gym before work?

Or should I become self-employed, or work nights at a coffee shop?

Try having working out be the last thing you do. If you work out in ur house try going to bed right after since you will be physicaly tired. Otherwise go to the gym, do ur thing, shower, when you get home go to bed. Also try green tea in the morning to give you the energy boost, or try energy drinks? Eh I love em haha. Monster Khaos or M-80

Also try watching tv right after you get into bed. After ur shower go in ur bed and watch some tv always nocks me out. And dont drink anything while your in bed youll find urself waking up and going to the bathroom. Chances are you wont be able to go back to sleep. Also think about whats more important. Getting that extra hour of sleep or keeping your job. If you hear your alarm clock, just get out of bed youll find yourself doing the rest.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TowleY
Try having working out be the last thing you do. If you work out in ur house try going to bed right after since you will be physicaly tired. Otherwise go to the gym, do ur thing, shower, when you get home go to bed. Also try green tea in the morning to give you the energy boost, or try energy drinks? Eh I love em haha. Monster Khaos or M-80

Also try watching tv right after you get into bed. After ur shower go in ur bed and watch some tv always nocks me out. And dont drink anything while your in bed youll find urself waking up and going to the bathroom. Chances are you wont be able to go back to sleep. Also think about whats more important. Getting that extra hour of sleep or keeping your job. If you hear your alarm clock, just get out of bed youll find yourself doing the rest.

energy drinks and TV in bed are both bad ideas.

TowleY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamish5178
energy drinks and TV in bed are both bad ideas.

energy drinks in the morning at 7 am shouldnt make you still have effects by 11 or12 pm unless you are very very sensitive to caffeine in which case you should not have them at all. Idk that works for me. Im always knocked out after watching tv at night.

hamish5178

Reaction score
I meant energy drinks in general, not just in relation to sleeping.

lizmasc

Reaction score
You can't oversleep on the weekends or stay in bed later. The body likes habits he can rely upon, and oversleeping or just going to sleep at later hours and waking up later (even if you sleep the same amount of hours) is not recommended. The best way to get out of it from my own experience is by shock treatment.

Get to bed at a time you usually go to bed and get up at 6.30 am. Do it. Then get through the day and go to bed earlier at 23.00 hours at the most. You don't need to spend 2 hours in the gym every single day talking (not saying that you do though). Skip the talk and do less on the gym. Going there everyday and spending an inordinate amount of time doing every possible exercise is counter-productive
tinfoil.gif
smiley2.gif

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't visit this site after 8pm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads