• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting ties made

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'morning all,

My sister and I are considering making a small run of neckties. She is a designer and I am more business-minded and it is long past the time that we go on an adventure together. Her studies are in pattern design (a perfect fit) but her work over the past few years has been in product design. No less interesting, but it comes with a much different production process.

I lean on you, kind StyleForum members, to help us with our first question. I live in NYC and would need to find a production center -- one that would lend an ear, some sympathy and assistance to someone looking to get this off the ground. I imagine that the largest hurdle will be production and its associated costs and schedule. Before we consider design, we need to consider this component.

So, where could I go to get neckties made? And does anyone have any experience in this matter and would be willing to assist? I am available via private message. And if I've placed this in the wrong forum, my apologies.

Thanks in advance.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should have written the title "Making Neckties." I don't like how the title reads now
frown.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not sure how relevant this is, but J. Press sells true unlined seven-folds that are U.S.-made. I have no idea who makes them, but they look and feel very nice. Comparable to my Rubinacci ties. The only problem is the width. They're like 4 inches across.

Perhaps you could find out about their maker?

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would it be possible for you to maybe contact Dave Hober to see if they might be interested in making your designs. I read that Brooks used a Factory out of NC but I am guessing they only work for or are owned by Brooks.

I think "ShirtMaven" is the expert on this stuff, I always enjoy reading the history of the tie and shirt business that he writes about on occasion of manufacturing in the US.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a nice idea, but I am interested in the production process and would like to see that part through to completion.

I would also be looking for a factory / production facility in or around NYC.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charles Alexander is producing ties in NY also.

TIEALIGN

Reaction score
I dont manufacture my neckties here in the states but most of the mills in Lake Como, Italy have someone on staff who speaks english and can weave or print any of your designs. Most of the mills I have worked with there have a minimum run of 20 yeards of each design. So depending on what construction method you are going to use will determine how many ties you will get out of that. After I have the silk woven I send it off to a tailor I found in Napoli, Italy to hand cut and sew them but you could import the silk and take it to a local tie maker in NY. As mentioned above you could talk to Charles about who he uses in NY to make his neckties.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
PM sent.

Anyone want to buy open a tie factory?
there are lots of liba machines available at good prices!
A Liba machine makes a machine made tie look hand made.

does not do seven fold..

eric glennie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
PM sent.

Anyone want to buy open a tie factory?
there are lots of liba machines available at good prices!
A Liba machine makes a machine made tie look hand made.

does not do seven fold..

Carl,

With your money and my brains , we could make millions

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eric glennie
Carl,

With your money and my brains , we could make millions

Yes, and an elevenfold extra!

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are two parts to the process, the weaving and sewing.

Vanners in England does much of the quality weaving. You send them designs and they make 40 meters of silk.

John Kochis in New York will make ties for you if you want them sewn locally. He's in the book.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
'morning all, My sister and I are considering making a small run of neckties. She is a designer and I am more business-minded and it is long past the time that we go on an adventure together. Her studies are in pattern design (a perfect fit) but her work over the past few years has been in product design. No less interesting, but it comes with a much different production process. I lean on you, kind StyleForum members, to help us with our first question. I live in NYC and would need to find a production center -- one that would lend an ear, some sympathy and assistance to someone looking to get this off the ground. I imagine that the largest hurdle will be production and its associated costs and schedule. Before we consider design, we need to consider this component. So, where could I go to get neckties made? And does anyone have any experience in this matter and would be willing to assist? I am available via private message. And if I've placed this in the wrong forum, my apologies. Thanks in advance.
Blank, Sounds like a fun project with your sister. Sam Hober is a family business with 3 generations currently helping out if you count Samantha who is only two but will be 3 soon.... When you say a "small run" I assume that your main goal is to have fun and experiment and learn and with a little luck make a few dollars. With that goal in mind do not worry about production. Instead let your sister's creative thoughts go wild and see what she comes up with. If you were trying to have a well funded serious business I would go the opposite way and think of your market first. If you have unusual designs you can move onto the type of fabric etc. If your sister wants lots of small design details you may want to consider printing although very small runs are often better off hand painted. You can even find solid white silk ties to work with at artist supply stores which takes care of production. Also consider a local silk screener to help with the printing. Let serendipity guide you..... Amother idea for production perhaps a family member to get you started? Grandmother? Your sister is the key to this adventure if you have wonderful designs everything else will fall into place. Good luck and post pictures of your designs.

jagmqt

Reaction score
http://propercloth.com/

I don't know anything about these guys other than their website...I'll probably try them for a shirt later...

Reading their blogs (Sept 15), and their "About Us" section, they seem like an ambitious start-up...Maybe they're worth contacting.

Regardless, make one or two Extra Long...I'm a tall guy, I need a long tie!

Good Luck in the endeavor.

jag

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads